Seeking Advice & Recipies for Allergice Son

Hi we just saw our Dr. yesterday. In reviewing my 14 year old son's blood work it was mentied that he scored high in being allergic to wheat and milk. I am confused it the fact that he has never shown any signs of being allergic to these and of course these are just a few of the things he loves most which right now is "eating me out of house and home." Can anyone clue me in on this and I would love to hear on how to get started weaning these items out of his diet, recipies, game plan etc... I know this will effect the rest of the family as well and it is going to be a challenge.
Thanks in advance for all of your input. I really enjoy reading this blog on a daily basis.

Thanks to everyone for all of the wonderful advise I have received! I should have given everyon a little more information about my son. I May, we decided to have a brain scan done along with this blood work as a last result to further identify his ADD after having an adverse reaction to a medication that had been recommended. (Trust me medication was not my first choice either) This has been a long on-going, complicated,process ruling out & discovering what your child needs for the last 14 years. It seams that we we peal off one layer of the onion and discover more.
I did take your advise took my son to an allergist, after testing him for 70 food allergise he confirmed that he was not allergist to any foods. Also that there is no corrolation between ADD and food allerges. I am happy to have this ruled out though, after reading all the resposes I feel that I am back to square one between Dr's #1 & Dr's #2 opinion where once again ADD is such a gray area with SO MANY different things to try that I feel I have been taken advantage of monitarily,educationaly and emotionally in trying to help your child become the best he can be. Sorry for the drama I am just worn thin over this whole experience. Any other feeed back would be helpful.

I would suggest going to see an allergist. My daughter had the same thing happen. We ran a panel for peanut butter and it came up showing sentistivity to pets, milk, and wheat. She was drinking milk 2-3 times per day, eats bread, and we have a dog with no reactions!! The allergist told me there is a difference between sensitivity (which shows up on the blood work) and symptoms. As long as there aren't any symptoms, it's okay to keep her on those foods (the peanut butter was a different story - none of that allowed). You might want to go see an allergist and see what they say....

That is strange. No reactions? You can try the Glutin Free Casien free diet. All Mommys with Autism swear by it.

I would definitely get a referral for an allergist. My son tested high for milk, and wheat alleries. We know he is allergic to milk, but eats wheat all the time. The allergist said that the blood tests often show a "false positive" result. The may be able to put your mind at rest, or give you ideas of how to handle it.

I would check out gfcf (gluten free, casein free) sites online. They have a lot of good ideas.

I would also try http://www.glutenfreeclub.com/Home.aspx to get recipes and also to check out the forum on the site. There are lots of people who post answers to questions, restaurant lists (places that have a gluten free menu) and many other pages to visit.
I think there may be a yearly fee if you want to post anything yourself. (I'm not sure, I paid a one-time fee back when it first started).
Good luck and hang in there - it gets easier with time.

After much speculation and experimentation I determined that I am cow's milk intolerant and probably wheat-intolerant too, so, I have spent a lot of time working on this. Trust me, life goes on, it's mostly just difficult accomodating at restaurants. For ex, I never even bother going to an Italian joint, there's nothing there I can eat. For a young person, you have options. The older people get, the more ingrained the eating habits. I bake scone/cookies which are wheat free and taste great, but they're a four hour project (I freeze about five or six dozen of them and thaw them in the microwave for 12 seconds.) Great flours: millet, amaranth, oat, coconut, all mixed together in various ratios. Find out if your son is allergic to casein or lactose. I assumed lactose and then discovered I could tolerate Goat's milk and cheese, this is really a boon. I've used soy milk on granola for years. I eat a wonderful millet bread from the freezer section of the natural food store. You can find tons of recipes if you google "wheat-free recipes" or "gluten-free." Good luck.

I am also allergic to wheat and have a lactose intolerance. I would first find out if your son is allergic to milk or if he has a lactose intolerance. If it's just lactose, than you can purchase many dairy items that are lactose free and taste the same as regular dairy. You can also have him take lactose pills before he has dairy. If it's the milk itself, than he will unfortunatly have to avoid milk products. But if he has not had any symptoms than it is probably just the lactose (usually the biggest symptom of that is extream gasyness).

As for the wheat, the only indication I had of my allergy or intolerance is that when I eat wheat or gluten products I get really tired and have trouble focusing. So his symptoms may not have been totally apparent to you. But this is much easier to deal with than you might think. In the natural foods aisle should have a variety of gluten free products, from cookies to pizza dough. I have replaced my pasta with rice pasta. If you can find the Tinkyada brand that is the best, you can even give it the whole family because it has the same texture as regular pasta. The only thing is it doesn't make very good leftovers (no rice or corn pasta does). Depending on the type of wheat allergy your son has, you may be able to replace his bread with spelt bread. If you have a Great Harvest Bread store near you they have the best spelt bread I've found. I also replace spelt flour in any recipe that calls for flour, you just have to add a little more moisture to the recipe if it's something you are baking because spelt tends to be a bit dry.

Hope this helps :).

My son was diagnosed with a wheat/ milk protein allergy as well at 6 weeks old. Fortunately I was nursing so I was able to change my diet to accomodate him. There are quite a few things that you can substitute for milk and wheat products. It's ben a while but I think that I can find the fact sheet on what to/or not to eat.

Some quick substitutes for dairy are rice milk or almond milk. ( There are chocolate and vanilla flavors too) Children tend to enjoy them. Look for veggie spirals for pasta and make sure to pay special attention to nutrition labels. When I find the menus again I'll be sure to let you know.

1 / 3