Seeking Advice About Gerber Veggie Puffs

I was just wondering what age is best to start giving babies the Gerber veggie and fruit puffs.

Every baby is different. They need to be able to sit up and pick them up and put them in their mouth. Read the package label, it is pretty descriptive on the recomendations for when to start giving these finger foods. Veggie puffs are great and dissolve very quickly, espescially with all the drool!

I began giving them to my son when he was about 8 months old. That is one at a time, not just putting them on his high chair table. He is 26 months now and still snacks on them sometimes. We are a big fan of them because they are softer than Cheerios.

They dissolvle very quickly. I started after I had introduced all of the foods, but before Cheerios, and only when my son could pick them up himself.
J. C.

When should you feed your baby Gerber Veggie Puffs?

In my opinion, NEVER! They aren't healthy at all, though Gerber doesn't want you to realize this. They are over processed, which removes any trace of healthy benefits, so Gerber sprays artificial vitamins on them. Those vitamins aren't absorbed and used by the body as well as naturally occurring vitamins and minerals, and some studies show if eaten often enough they may actually be harmful.

Check the ingredient list for the sweet potato puffs:
Rice Flour, Oat Flour, Wheat Flour, Wheat Starch, Sugar, Sweet Potato Powder, Tri- and Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Annatto Color, Tocopherols Vitamin E, Zinc Sulfate, Electrolytic Iron

The first three ingredients are flour--refined grains that aren't exactly healthy. Then you have wheat starch, which is a carbohydrate too. The first four ingredients will turn to sugar as they are digested in your baby's body. The fifth ingredient is added sugar! So...more sugar...Then finally you reach the part that they call a vegetable, the sweet potato powder.

Next the on the list are phosphates, considered to be strongly linked to ADHD.

Following that is natural flavoring. What exactly is natural flavoring? Just because it says natural doesn't mean it's good. Natural flavorings are made by flavorists in labs. See this article if you want to know more:
http://www.supermarketguru.com/page.cfm/6046

After that they add fake coloring, which has its own set of issues, then the chemical vitamins so that they can claim these have something healthy in them on the nutrition label.

I don't understand why people fall for the marketing Gerber puts out. These are not healthy, they'll fill up your child's belly when they could be eating actual sweet potatoes. Why train them to have a taste for over processed junk foods right from the start? Just feed your child actual fruits or vegetables instead.

If you're looking for some foods to practice the pincer grasp, why not try something like peas, corn, green beans, pinto/black/northern beans, lentils, sweet potatoes cut up in cubes and tossed in olive oil then baked make a healthy finger food, or even organic rice puffs--though they aren't healthy like actual fruits and veggies, they don't contain bad additives and lots of sugars like the Gerber Puffs.

J. C.

just go with your baby, if he's acting interested in food let him try it. and nust watch him to see how well he handles it, if he chokes a lot just a little longer, but her may surprise you and gobble it up with no problem.

The back of the bottle will actually tell you what developmental feats the child should be able to accomplish in order to give them the puffs, but I actually gave my son, who was about 7.5 months, the puffs even though he didn't fit the criteria.

I gave it to him because he seemed eager to try finger foods, and he loved them (though I end up feeding them to him, rather than him feeding himself). At first, though, I would break the stars in quarters to make sure he was capable of chewing, and slowly over time, I broke them in halves, and now he is eating them whole, at 8mo, 2weeks.

Hope this helps!

As long as your baby is sitting up with help they would be fine now to start. THe puffs literaly dissolve quickly as soon as they put them in their mouths so there is very little chewing or msshing involved. I have four boys and they all loved the puffs and started eating around six months to eight months. They all loved the sweet potato ones and also the Gerber Crunchies. My youngest love the tomato basil ones and they are really good for them.

I started at month 8. He had teeth so we tried it. I was a huge success.

Good luck and God bless,

You will know when your baby is ready. Really, you are the mother and you will always know your baby best. If you think it is time, then go for it! =D

1 / 3