Sedation Dental work...safe?

My son is 2.5 years old, and he has two HUGE caveties in his 2-year molars. He has to have crowns put on, and the dentist suggests either IV-sedation in his office or general anethesia at Children's Mercy. I have no idea how to choose or which one is safer etc.

The dentist said the caveties were a defect of the teeth...they formed inproperly when they came in. So, it is not a matter of poor hygeine or anything we could have done to prevent them.

Anyhow, my pediatritian gave us one opinion, but the office gave us a totally differnt one. I don't know what to do.

Anyone out there with similar experience?

My grandson had the sedation at hospital was much easier, then dealing with a screaming kid trying to be sedated. The kids told me was very easy an xavier was a jewel on being sedated. Hope this helps. D.

My husband is a general dentist (adults & older children only) and be believes that CMH is the best care for little ones. I work at a law firm, and we had a malpractice case of sedation in an office that was mishandled. The child is now in an almost vegetative state. I am the mother of a 2 yr old, and for my money, you can't beat CMH. They are pros at all things medically related to children.

Hi H.. My daughter had a cavity in one of her 1 year molars and had a cap put on when she was 20 mos. The dentist said that there was most likely a disturbance to the tooth when I was pregnant with her! We chose to have the general anesthesia at the hospital (Cox South in Springfield, MO). The hardest part was her waking up from the anesthesia. She was okay with having the mask put over her mouth to put her to sleep, she even was willing to sit on the bed instead of having me hold her- what a big girl!!! She cried pretty hard for around 30 min. after waking up, but then was fine- popsicles do wonders in a stressful situation! She did have cancker sores afterwards, that the dentist said was probably because of the stress it caused on her. It has been four months since the proceedure and other than the sores (they took about a week and a half to clear up), she has not had any problems, the cap/tooth doesn't seem to bother her at all. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

My son, who was about 3 at the time, broke half of his front tooth during a treadmill accident at an aunts house! I didn't know she had a treadmill in one of her rooms that they kids were playing in during a holiday visit. Sure enough he took a fall and landed on his front teeth. We went to a local (Springfield) childrens dentist to get a crown and veneer(sp?) and they used a liquid before hand to calm him down and (I can't remember exactly what) something else during the procedure to keep him calm but he was awake. The cost wasn't too bad on it. I think we ended up paying $300-$400 on it. That is much cheaper than going to the hospital with IV sedation but the down side is the dentist said my son was really hard to work on and he cried through the entire procedure. Afterwards my son didn't remember a thing so that was good!

My now 4 & 6 yr olds both had surgery last year for some problems they had. I know it sounds like a waste of money to put crowns on but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Without taking care of the problem there will be toothaches, etc. If they get worse the tooth has to be pulled and a spacer has to be put in (my 6 yr old has one). We had our work done at CM and they used the "giggle juice". The whole experience went very well. The nurses explained everything to us so we knew what to expect and they were very good with the kids, which I'm sure can be nerve racking since they come out of the sedation and start crying. Like the other mom said - popsicles, jello and juice work wonders to stop the tears! We had a 2nd and 3rd opinion before doing the work and went with the doc who took his time to explain what was going on as the one to do the surgery. We switched to him for our pediatric dentistry because of the care we received throughout the whole process.

H.

All three of my children have had to have dental surgery to put caps on teeth due to genetic problems with their enamel. The older 2 we went with general anethesia at the hospital. The youngest was in office sedation. If we had is to do all over we would have gone the hospital route with the youngest. The older two have no problems with the dentist (they had the procedures done when they were 3 or 4 they are now 13 and 10) The younger one who was 4 when she had the work done and is now 6 is very aprehensive about going to the dentist. She thinks every time she goes in she is going to be sedated. As for the advice to just fill them or leave them. One if they could just be filled thats what they would do but the cavities are probably so big that the tooth would break, which means more money later on. Yes they are just baby teeth but they are there for a reason. To hold space and shape the jaws for the permanate teeth.

I would check with another dentist .I can't see spending $$$for Crowns on baby teeth, Unless, he is in severe pain leave them be.Wont they fall out at 5 years anyhow?? I'm Not sure.

Been there done that...
my family Dr (and friend) recommended we not do in office sedation. Stated that the dentist that do that are not prepared for emergencies such as breathing. So we opted for CMS and had a great experience with our dentist. Even the pediatric dentist we finally choose, won't do in office sedation like that. That was after interviewing about 5 other pediatric dentist in the KC area...
Hugs to you!

Hello H.! Don't worry about Children's Mercy if that is what you choose. My son was 18months old when he had that done with his two year molars. Apparently from all of his teething we had ear infections and sinus infections everytime we turned around. According to the doctors the antibiotics basically made his teeth into cavities before the two year molars even came in.
We had a lady do his capping at Children's Mercy....geez 6.5 years ago!!! WOW!! Anyways they did it wonderfully and it didn't take long. Matter of fact before they did that with him they gave him a little drink called "giggle juice". IT is a demerol drink. It makes them relax so they don't freak out when it is time for you to leave. It was really nice.
As for the IV sedation I have never done that with any of my children. The only time they have ever had that was for other reasons like....tonsils getting out, adenoids being removed. I hope this helps you in some way. Good luck!

~S.

1 / 3