Second Broken Bone and My Son Isn't Even 4 Years Old Yet!!

My son will be 4 at the end of March 2011. When he was 18 months he tripped on a rug and had a really bad fall. He broke his humerus and dislocated his elbow. This last Sat he fell out of bed, which he has done a few times before and broke his clavicle. I spoke to the Ortho Dr as I am so concerned that he already has had 2 broken bones. The dr. said he has had just bad luck. He has strong bones and I shouldn't be worried, but I am a mom and I am. I am terrified for when he starts playing contact sports. He drinks milk, loves yogurt and cheese. In addition, I am also giving him a calcium supplement. Any other suggestions on how I can improve his bone strength? or any other kids had this bad luck with breaking bones? Thank you.

Well I broke my leg all the way through in September of the year I was 10 and then broke my foot on the same side in September the year I was 11. It was such a bummer but I don't have any issues with bones etc. I have danced, done gymnastics, did every kind of flip off the diving board you can imagine as a kid and always did fine. It was just a crazy coincidence. If the Dr is not worried, he is probably just fine. Sorry you are going through all this, I can't stand to see my son in pain. Hang in there!!!

Sounds like bad luck :( more calcium rich foods besides dairy:

* Salmon
* Tofu
* Rhubarb
* Sardines
* Collard greens
* Spinach
* Turnip greens
* Okra
* White beans
* Baked beans
* Broccoli
* Peas
* Brussel sprouts
* Sesame seeds
* Bok choy
* Almonds

You probably know them already, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post! Take a deep breath, you'll all get past this.

My mom would have felt your pain. My brother was the biggest clutz there was, and to be honest, he still is. By the age of two he had broken his elbow (which needed pins put in it) and his wrist (two different breaks at two different times), and had stitches 8 different times. Had the doctor not known my parents on a personal level (he was my sister's godfather) he would have had to report them to child services for the ridiculous things he did!

Anyways...my brother turned out just fine. He played varsity soccer all four years of high school, was offered college scholarships, but turned them down, and always had all of the calcium he needed. Some kids are just unlucky! Good luck to yours though! :)

My 10 year old son broke his clavicle playing soccer September 2010 and was not cleared to play again until December 2010. He had his first scrimmage back on the team in January 2011 and re-broke the same clavicle. The doctor says it is bad luck too! Bones look healthy, but definitely makes me wonder . . . .

My son broke two bones within three months of eachother at age 4. The first one was his little finger which he slammed in the sliding glass door. That one required surgery and two steel pins. The second was his arm on the same side as the pinky. Not a bad break. He is 17 now and hasn't broken anything since (knock on wood!) He's played baseball, soccer, done gymnastics and now wrestles with no ill effects. : ) Some kids can go their whole lives without a scratch, others like ours just have a little bad luck.

test his calcium, ionized calcium and vitamin D levels.

I'm thinking something like karate or tai chi.
As in learning to center himself,
learning how to move his body gracefully and with control.

About falling out of bed . . . . that must have been a hell of a fall??

About contact sports . . . .
does it have to be an absolute given that he will play contact sports?
There are various sports that aren't contact sports.
Perhaps you're projecting too far in the future since he's only 4 years old.

My nephew has had so many broken bones,, it is not even funny.. I am talking about from age 3.. He has always been an extreme child physically.. He loves action and pushes himself.. He cannot be stopped. He eats healthy and works out, but he just seems to fall wrong..

He is a sophomore in HS and was supposed to be one of the Quarterbacks on the Varsity team this past fall, but in the first Game, First play he was sacked and broke his shoulder.. OUT for the entire season.. Thank goodness no surgery was necessary.. I know very odd, but the Ortho said he was in such great shape and young enough the bone would heal super fast.. In 8 weeks the shoulder had healed and he got to play for a few minutes of the very last game..

The doctor says he is good as new.. I am a nervous wreck.. He will probably be THE Quarter back this next fall.

Updated

1 / 3