Seasonal Allergies - Albuquerque,NM

Hi mommas!

My four year old daughter has terrible seasonal allergies. I have been giving her children's zyrtec but it just doesn't seem to do the job. I only give her half a dose (2.5ML), which is the recommended dose on the bottle. The bottle also says you can give them a full dose (5ML) if needed so today I tried it. Still no luck, it just made her sleepy.

What do you give your little ones for seasonal allergies? I hate watching her suffer with an itchy nose and watery eyes, but don't want her to sleep through the spring!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to try loratadine (sp) and he worked great. Her symptoms were held at bay and she did not fall asleep! Thanks again and I hope all your kiddos find some relief too!

My daughters allergist put her on xyzol, not spelled right sorry, it is the next generation zyrtec and on nasonex nose spray. I hate putting her on all this but she is a mess if not and even with this if she is around a dog we still have to give her benadryl. It is worse right now than normal. Yuck

Oh my gosh!

Quit giving your children drugs.

Go to a vitamin store and get something that will not cause side effects!

I am in the East Valley - on Alma School and Elliot is "Natures Health" Vitamin store. They have alternatives!!!!!

Email me if you need more info.............

If you want to get your young daughter off pharmaceuticals, I cannot recommend this class highly enough: Herbs for Kids at http://www.inspiredabq.com

They discuss allergies and safe herbs to treat them. Nettles is one definite possibility. Allergies are an overreaction of your immune system. You can also help with other herbs, as well as a diet rich in probiotic foods. Not just yogurt, but fermented veggies and more.

My son suffered from seasonal allergies for years. We tried everything otc and nothing worked. then we tried an herb called Stinging Nettle. It takes a few days to build up and then NO MORE sneezing, rubbing eyes, coughing. It was for him a miracle! U can get it at most nay health food store. Good Luck.

Our son was prescribed Singular (he's two) and has horrible pollen allergies already. It has helped. On terrible days he also takes Zyrtec. This keeps him from wheezing. I feel your pain! Also, try to have her wash her hands often when playing outside, bathe after being outside and change her clothes right after coming inside. At least that helps if it's pollen. Good luck!

A simple (sometimes challenging) fix is to try cutting out sugar during allergy season. It's night and day with my son--he has sugar and his allergies go out of control. Huge swollen eyes, runny nose, exhaustion...He avoids sugar and he's absolutely fine.

Sugar causes inflammatory responses, maybe overwhelms the body's ability to deal with foreign bodies. Just try it for a week and see what happens--you might be able to get him off OTC drugs entirely!

Check with your Pediatrician. Sometimes they have free samples you can try before buying them. That way you won't waste money on something that may not work. Claritin didn't work for my daughter, but Zyrtec does. Not all allergy meds. work the same way, and that's why some work for one person and not another. And, if something doesn't work, then stop using it. However, I know some of the RX nasal sprays (maybe others) need to be used for a couple of weeks before you see any improvement. So, be sure to ask your doctor or pharmacist. It's a bad year for allergies! Good luck!

I have my son on Childrens Claritin and that seems to work for my son. (He's turning 4 this week) I even have a kids nose spray for when it becomes too much for him. He hates it but it works as well. If that doesn't work then I agree with one mom who said to go talk to the doctor about it.

I split the full dose between morning and night, but yeah, it only does so much. You might see what your allergist might prescribe. Maybe a nasal spray?

1 / 3