Scooting...dragging Leg Not All Fours Crawling

Hey Moms! My almost 11 month old daughter is not crawling in the traditional way on hands and knees but is scooting all over the place. She scoots with her hands on the ground and one leg out with foot flat on floor (looks as if she is trying to get up on one foot) but she drags the other leg bent under her. This has been about a month now. I know there are different ways to crawl and this is her way and I asked the Dr. on last visit and he says it's fine because her hips seem fine and she pulls up on our hands to stand so legs seem fine. She wasn't quite as mobil then when I asked him.
The problem is the leg she is dragging gets quite red and roughed up especially when she doesn't have pants on, and she's girl and summer is here : )
Would I have to keep her in pants even if she crawls normally?
Have any of your kiddos crawled in an awkward way with no problems?
Should I take her back to the Dr. again to discuss before her 1 year appt? (in one month)
Any other info? Thanks a lot

My daughter was the same way, then one day about 4 months later she got up and walked and once she started walking it was like 3 days until she was running. Everyone is my family called it the frog!!

my middle boy did this and he is perfectly fine. He runs walks and jumps around just like any other child.Actually jumps better than I remember his older brother jumping at his age. He just preferred to get around that way!!!

My daughter didn't walk until 21 months...and yes, I kept her in pants until she was upright. She did crawl normally, but we have all tile floors so she needed the padding on her knees. It was tough I had a whole bunch of 12m and 18m dresses that she never even got to wear one time. (She would crawl onto the hem and face plant).

I wouldn't think that another doctor's appointment would be necessary. My doctor didn't call ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) until she wasn't walking at 19 months.

The only thing that worries me is that my daughter broke her leg at 11.5 months...she was cruising and fell (and screamed like nothing I have ever heard before, took me 20 minutes to calm her down). Her leg wasn't red or bruised or any outward appearance of injury. She just went from crawling normally to dragging that leg behind her (like you describe your daughter doing)...and would not stand on it when we held her upright. My husband told me I was nuts taking her to the doctor because with no outward sign of injury, it must just be sprained...but I just knew she needed to go, it was mommy gut. It was broken, they call it a toddler fracture or toddler break.

But you have already been to see the doctor and if she hasn't fallen...then I would just say it is her own original version of crawling. Message me if you have any questions. Hugs!!

We had our daughter walking on her knees until she was 14 months old! Nothing wrong with her, she didn't want to walk on her feet. So we bought some Sketchers that lite up on the top of the shoe which encouraged her to walk so she could see the lights blinking!

Try something like that and see if it helps at all.

my daughter and my neice both moved like this and they are now very healthy and smart 6 year olds -- and very fast runners! Don't worry at all.

Legs do get scraped from all kinds of crawling. she'll be fine. Use pants if she's on particlarly rough terrain.

Don't worry your daughter is fine. My grandson did the exact same thing and we all laughed about it but then worried a little that he would hurt his leg or knee that way. The doctor said not to worry so we didn't. In just a matter of a couple of months he was up and walking. I think the leg out help him pull up better and he didn't crawl that way for long. She will be fine and not all babies crawl the same way.

Each of my three sons had their different ways, but my first was, like Tara called it, a "frog" crawler. He grew out of it just fine.

In fact, similar to Tara's story, my oldest had a pretty short period of "frog" crawling, he was walking in almost no time at all. It has been 15 years now, but, as I recall, he was nearly 12 months old before starting the "frog" crawling. Looking back, I think I was holding him so much of the time that I practically didn't give him the freedom to experiment with crawling! ;)

Try Baby Legs. They look leg leg warmers, but come in a lighter weight material. Plus, they are super adorable!

There are something like 30+ different ways that the American Academy of Peds recognizes a "crawl" Dragging one leg behind is quite normal.
Yes she would still need her legs covered if she is not on soft material if she was crawling in the traditional way. They have t-shirt material leg warmer type sleeves for there little legs all over. This can help and keep her cool and act as a sun block in some cases as well.
The good news is that this is not the mokst effective crawl and will probably frustrate her enough to push her into walking sooner.

1 / 3