School Rules

OK, friends....school has only been in session 2 weeks and already "issues". Here's the scoop- The PE teacher wants the students to wear tennis shoes to PE. Last year they gave them time to change. Not this year! So my 11 yr old DD wants to wear flip flops now and will want to wear her new boots in the winter. I don't blame her. I am trying to get in all my last days of flip flops too. What should I do?

They have PE everyday. She is in elementary- 5th grade. They started switching classes this year so she just moves from one room to another. She shares desk/chair, etc with 4 other students so there is no place to leave shoes under desk. It is not a RULE that they tennis shoes. I checked the handbook. Last year they were allowed to change its just that this year they move around so much. I do think that it is a "bigger" issue with her than it has to be. She has an anxiety problem and this makes it a "BIG" deal for her. I have spoke to a paraprofessional and found out other classes are given time to change it just seems like her particular teacher doesn't. She wore sandals that zip today and took tennis shoes so we will see how it works. Thanks for your input!

Does she have PE every day? My daughter doesn't. On the days that she does, she wears her tennis shoes and regular shoes on the other days.

Have her change her flip flops to tennis shoes in her classroom. Ask her regular teacher if she can keep her socks and shoes under her desk so all she has to do is slip them on. I can't imagine that it would be too hard on the primary teacher.

For boots, according to how big they are, she may need to keep them with her backpack. However, I wouldn't want to wear boots all day everyday - perhaps she would rather change into tennis shoes because that's more comfortable.

Our school does not allow flip flops any time of the year.
They don't stay on feet and are not adequate for gym or recess.
She can kick off her sneakers when she gets home and wear flip flops the rest of the time, but for school - you wear what's required.
In middle school here they have gym every day for 2 weeks then 1 week of health.
They have to dress out from 7th grade and up, but my son likes wearing sneakers year round.

Our school doesn't allow open toe shoes at all because of the safety issue. I don't think it's too much to ask that she wear sneakers 1 or 2 days a week. It's the rule and she needs to follow it.

Our school does not allow flip flops!!!

I don't understand why they don't have time to change into tennis shoes? Our school has PE two days a week - and they request the kids dress appropriately those two days...however, they do give the kids about 5 minutes to change shoes...

Our school does not have lockers nor do we have a "gym" that has a shower or lockers there...like you would in middle and high school.

Have her put her tennis shoes in her backpack and change them in class before she goes to gym...

Flip flops are dangerous and most schools don't allow them regardless of weather. She shouldn't be on the playground in them either.

You should find out which days your child will be in PE and send her in sneakers on those days. This is NOT an unreasonable request. IF you really feel like she should not have to follow a simple request like this, then your daughter needs to find time prior to PE to change her shoes without disrupting her classes.

Our school never allowed flip flops, heels or clogs or any other kind of non-sturdy shoe, it's just not appropriate footwear for the playground (too many twisted ankles and bloody toes!)
As far as not giving them time to change, yeah, I get it. After working at the local elementary school I see how ridiculously slow kids are at any kind of transition, especially changing clothes or shoes. They may be given five minutes but it always takes longer and class time is wasted.
There are lots of cute tennis shoes on the market, I'm sure your daughter can find some she would enjoy wearing to school every day :)

Are they not changing out at all? Are the kids in PE in whatever they wore that day (dress, picture day clothes, etc)? I would ask the PE teacher why there is no time to even change shoes to appropriate footwear. That seems really odd. We always changed. At my sks' middle school, they even had gym clothes you could purchase for the year.

1 / 3