School Refusing Lunches

I was reading an article in a group about the Coelho Middle School that refused lunch to approximately 25 students because either they didn't have enough money or were short on funds for their meal. I am a little peeved off about it. No it wasn't my child, but seriously. They could easily send a note home to the parents/guardians of the children and let them know. They didn't have to refuse them food. We spend millions of dollars to help other countries feed their children, but we deny the ones in our own country. Now I'm not saying that our help isn't needed, but it just hits home a little too hard when the children are going hungry here. Sure it was just lunch, but how do you feed every other child around and not that one just because they're a little short on their account? I understand if it were an adult, it'd be different, but this is a child. A middle school child.

Sorry, but what do y'all think about it? Above is just my opinion so please no negativity towards my opinion since we all have them.

Link to story is listed in the SWH section....

Did you catch the bit where it said their accounts together were negative 1,800 dollars!! 25 accounts! That is 72 dollars a kid on average! I will go on the assumption their lunches are around what my children's are, 3.00. That would mean that they have gone, on average, 24 school days or at least five weeks, probably six considering spring break, ignoring the fact that they hadn't sent the kids lunch money.

Don't go all poor kids starving either! the poor kids get free lunch. These are parents that have the money but don't bother to send it in. I have never heard of a school not sending out notices when the account goes below five dollars so they were getting a awful lot of notices....

Sorry but people need to be responsible and those parents weren't. So if you want to be peeved at anyone be peeved at the irresponsible parents! The school wasn't letting them starve, their parents did.

Sounds like some parents should pay up. Personally I would be to embarrassed to say much of anything if I were in those parents shoes. I would be mortified that I didn't get the bill payed. I would apologize to my child that I put them in such a position. That's how it should work. The school district didn't decide to have children, parents did. The parents need to do their job!

This is an aberration. It's a one time thing that happened in one school And immediate action was taken to correct the situation. I hardly think it is news worthy.

oh wah.
first world problems.
american parents are too lazy and stupid to provide food for their own kids, but get all puffed up with righteous anger when the schools, already strapped to bursting point, don't step up and add THIS to the list of things parents expect schools to take over for them.
if any of these kids were actually starving i might muster up some outrage, but i doubt that's the case.
only a few years ago there was a school that provided peanut butter sandwiches to any kids who didn't have enough money in their accounts. who got buried in %^&$# outrage? the school, for not being sensitive enough to kids with peanut allergies. the parents who weren't sending their kids to school with appropriate lunches or the money to buy got to sit around smugly and point fingers.
i have no patience for people like the poster who proudly bawled out the lunch lady in front of her kid, and loves how fondly the child remembers it. it's far too easy to look like a hero to a little kid by attacking a low level worker who has zero recourse, instead of teaching and taking responsibility for one's own actions which created the situation in the first place.
fat, complacent, spoiled, entitled americans.
bah!
khairete

can i be honest?

so, this is not a third world nation with starving children. this is Massachusetts. first off, i am positive that none of these children is going to die of starvation from missing one meal.

second, it doesn't say, but our school lets it slide for quite awhile if you owe them money. how long had these children's accounts been negative? how long had they been eating without paying??? i have full confidence that this was not the FIRST time the parents had heard that their child needed lunch money. nowhere does it say anything about notes sent home or notifications of any kind.

it sounds to me like propaganda and hate mongering towards a school that was probably doing the best it could with the system it has to work within.

i am continually amazed at what depths people, even parents with kids looking up to them, will sink to. my school is constantly having to hound people for money they owe. why? people as a group are selfish and greedy and lazy. sorry but it's true. sounds to me like someone just got tired of being taken advantage of.

If they were in elementary they would have been fed. By middle school, you can miss a meal. Bet they remember lunch from now on. God forbid people take responsibility for themselves.

My mother works in the lunch room at her elementary school. She has been doing it for about 10 years.
She sends notes home ALL THE TIME to parents to let them know when their account is low, when it has no funds, and that emergency lunches are all the child will get. If the parent STILL refuses to do anything about it then the poor kid gets a cheese sandwich and an apple.
It's not my mom's fault. It's the parents fault.
Sure, some of these kids may qualify for free or reduced lunches. So, take the 2 minutes it takes to fill out the form and GET THE KID FREE LUNCHES.
This is 100% on the parent. It is not the school's responsability to feed all of the kids. It's the parents job to make sure their child is being fed. Be that food from their own house, school lunches, or signing up for free lunch.
Oh! And maybe the parent told the child (who is 11-15...so not a baby!) to make their own lunch in the morning and the child decided not to. Thought they could get free lunch. Jokes on them. They should have made a lunch.
If I were you I would not be upset at the school...be upset at the parents.

When I was a kid, if you didn't have money, or forgot your your lunch (or lunch tickets) at home, you didn't eat. Guess what? That made us, and our parents, very responsible.
Same thing as an adult, if I walk into a cafeteria or restaurant and can't pay, I don't expect to be fed.
I can't believe parents are "outraged" over a single missed meal. Only in spoiled and entitled America. As if any of these people has any idea what it's like to be truly hungry. Disgusting. That's MY opinion :-(
ETA: I worked in our school's lunch program. We (volunteers) spent time every month, sending emails reminding parents when their balances were running low, and making sure there was extra food for kids who couldn't pay. We SHOULD have been spending more time working with kids but no, parents felt it was more important for us to be watching their child's lunch balances, SOMETHING THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING THEMSELVES. Ridiculous!

They're trying to punish the parents for ignoring that they owe money for lunches. The kids are the ones who are punished, but they go home and tell their parents that they didn't have lunch. The parents get upset about it, ignoring the fact that they are supposed to be the ones who keep up with giving their kids the money in the first place.

I'm sorry to disagree with you here, but I believe this is all on the parents. It's a lesson they are teaching both kids AND their folks. Being responsible means planning ahead - doing your homework and turning it in on time, studying for tests, showing up to school. AND bringing money for your lunch. It's about responsibility. I'll just bet that it doesn't happen again to those kids because the parents will grudgingly have learned their lesson.

Ummm... first, consider the source. (I'm sorry, I'm a liberal progressive and even I find Huffpost rather navel-gazing in the worst ways, just as trashy and sensationalistic as any other tabloid...)

Reading this... sounds like a lot of people are not taking responsibility for themselves. The food service company should have stuck with policy, for sure.

But is THIS worth being 'outraged' about? Really? **REALLY**? First-world problem, in my opinion.

The dad who griped about prisoners getting food while 'my honor student gets nothing'-- uh, get a grip, please. Your honor student had boneheaded parents who blew off paying a bill. When bills don't get paid, services don't continue... kind of like in Real Life. Not only that, but where is there any responsibility?

Kids this age are capable of knowing if their card has a balance on it. Parents receive notifications. Everyone in that group is capable of making sandwiches and putting them in a bag to send to school. This is not rocket science. Getting all worked up and 'outraged' over this only makes them look like a bunch of ninnies.

I am hopefully not going to raise a ninny who expects everyone to rescue him from his assumed helplessness. If it had happened to my kid, I would have said "SO, where is the sheet they sent home from school telling us you had no money on your account? Why didn't you mention it to Dad or myself, or at least make yourself a sandwich? It's like you expected to get fed when you are running a debt, honey. "

Sorry, but this is a story more about nitwit behavior on many people's parts than any great injustice. Some kids got their feelings hurt. Let's take a look at the bigger picture, please. Our kids aren't being bombed in school by a regime government. Our children are not soldiers or working in sweatshops. We live in a democracy where they can post embarrassing information about themselves online and have so many, many opportunities. Big picture here, folks.... It will not harm our kids to get a few high-stress/short term lessons in responsibility. God forbid they learn some skills in dealing with life.

And everything Diane said, too. Seriously-- the schools have 'how much?' to do for the kids, and now they are expected to provide lunches for kids whose parents didn't do the job themselves? I think we'd all be feeling differently if the cafeteria ran out of food taking care of the kids who had no money on their account and our kid, with the paid-up card, got nothing. How does food service accurately predict how many lunches to provide if kids with negative balances are still expecting to be fed?

1 / 3