School - Head Lice

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get some advice for a friend who is at her wits end. Her daughter was sent home from school with Head Lice (there has been a terrible strain in our school this year). The particular class that her daughter is in has had many, many cases. The school then called her older daughter's school to have her looked at and unfortunately she did too. She immediately treated them with Nix (?) and did this treatment twice (on Thursday). I believe she even used a hairdryer while the treatment was on their head (they do not like heat). Today she took another look and could still see what appeared to be live nits (?). She is just beside herself at what to do. It has been an awful lot of work at home with the washing of all the linens, coats, hats, just about everything they come in touch with. Her older son and youngest daughter were not effected.

Does anyone have any advice, remedies, recommendations that I might be able to pass onto her? I know that they do not like heat or extreme cold. I am wondering if there is an herbal remedy that anyone has tried. The school nurse and her physician were nice, but really didn't have any other recommendations.

As always, thank you so much!

You are all such an AMAZING and AWESOME group of Moms! Thanks to each and every one of you that took time to respond. I have forwarded all your messages onto my friend. I believe she is going to do the olive oil treatment and be vigilent about combing the hair. This is such a problem on the rise and effects us all!

On the way home from work, I bought some tea tree oil and plan on mixing with water and spritzing it on my chidren's hair every morning before school. I feel preventative measures are in order!

With Appreciation...S.

Neem shampoo, and the extract(put directly on the scalp) also can be used. It is a potent herb that works wonders on lice. You can get it at Whole Foods.

oh, can i relate!! this is a nightmare! The ONLY thing I found to work is on Friday night, cover their head in mayonaise (yup) and wrap with saran wrap for OVERNIGHT treatment. I got this from a friend as I was at my wits end with the over the counter rx that didn't work, constantly boiling everything, etc. etc. THIS WORKS GREAT!! you have to wash their hair many times over the weekend as it is so greasy but by Monday a.m. lice is GONE and their hair so shiny...beautiful thing!

Comb, comb,comb,again! We combed daily for a week or more. They are hard to get rid of. We used mayonnaise [after commercial product] at night and covered with shower cap, it was messy and gross, we finally got rid of them.PATIENCE!!

I also treated my 3 girls and my own hair with the olive oil and plastic wrap treatment (for a minimum of 2hours, over night if possible). The main issue is to get the nits! They take a week to hatch which is why your friend needs to do at least two treatments a week apart. The treatment kills the lice but not the nits. The only way to get rid of nits is to use a nit comb and comb small (1/4-1/2 inch)sections daily. The comb doesn't necessary get all the nits, so any that are left behind need to be removed by hand. It is a frustrating and time consuming process, especially when you have a full head of hair, but it's the only way to get rid of the nits. I also washed our pillow cases and vacuumed daily especially any place that our heads were (i.e. the couches). Good luck to your friend.

I had an issuse with head lice and fleas being brought in with a daycare child. The lice were killed on the childrens' heads by using NIX. Use the conditioner type at least twice (I think it was 7 - 10 days apart?). But there were also fleas, eggs or whatever to be killed on the floors and furniture. I treated the house with flea foggers then washed all bedding and dried it on high heat, also washed counters and food prep areas and I never had another incident with either lice or fleas.
Also be sure to treat your cars, carseats, and any places your child may have gone to visit ... like Grammas, cousins, friends, everywhere!

here's something natural you can try.

Every child, whether in school or daycare is exposed to head lice. You don't want to think about your child having lice, but even the cleanest child will bring them home eventually. They can get them from classmates, in the playground at parties , etc.

Many of the remedies available commercially are poisonous for my child and I feel could compromise their health. I searched for a natural way to eliminate them. Try this method:

Get Rid of the Bugs:

The lice can be killed very quickly by applying mayonnaise to your child's hair. Get a new jar of mayonnaise and scoop a handful or too to completely cover the scalp. Do not forget the area around the ears and temples and the neck. This has to stay in contact with the hair and scalp about 2 hours, so cover the head with a shower cap.

Get any Loose Eggs

Shampoo the mayonnaise completely out of the hair. This may take 2 or 3 shampoos. Now rinse the scalp and hair with vinegar and rinse with hot water. Carefully comb the hair with a regular comb and then with a nit comb. Use a strong light or table lamp to check for any nits left behind.

Check the Dry Hair

Once the hair is dried, carefully check for nits once again, under a bright light. They will be much more easily seen in dry hair than wet hair. Check very small sections of hair at a time, Most closely check the edges of the scalp and around the ears. Nits will be attached to the hair and above the scalp. If you find more than just a very few nits, you will need to repeat the vinegar wash again to loosen the glue that holds he nits on the hair follicle.

We used Olive Oil for my nephews and it worked great..
We made sure the head was covered, soaked but not dripping and then wrapped their heads, left it on for 24 hours, pulled the nits and they never returned. Good Luck!

Smother them in olive oil. Sounds yucky, but it's effective.

There is a movie which would be great for your school called "Head Lice to Dead Lice". It came out in the late 90s.

Here is a site which lets you watch some of the movie:
<www.headliceinfo.com/freemovies/&gt;
and has a printable 5-step battle plan

Tell your friend I feel her pain. My 22 month old daughter and myself battled head lice earlier this year. It is a ton of work! All the washing and drying of clothes, coats, sheets etc. We also used NIX and the key was combing out with those little comes! It is tedious and time consuming but it is the best solution. We bought the metal combs (made my RID) and those seemed to work better than the plastic combs that come with the NIX shampoo. Also, when combing out their hair, have a cup of boiling water nearby and after each comb through, dunk the comb in the boiling water, you will be able to see the eggs and nits falling off the comb. Once you think you have cleared everything out, use tea tree shampoo (and conditioner in needed) - for some reason they don't like that shampoo and it "repels" them.

Hope this is helpful! And goodluck!

This is such a nasty thing to deal with. One of my (twin) daughters had them, too, and I tried Rid-x to get rid of them. It didn't work completely. But here's what did (recommended by another mother of twins-one of whom has waist length hair, and by our pediatrician): cover the child's hair with olive oil (it doesn't have to be the expensive kind). Wrap the head in plastic wrap and cover with a bathing cap. Leave on over night. In the morning, rinse with vinegar (any type) and comb out with a nit comb. Shampoo with regular shampoo and they should be all gone! The olive oil suffocates them. I guess the vinegar is to help get the olive oil out. It worked like a charm. Tell her good luck!

1 / 3