School Fund Raisers Too Many Kids, What Do You Do?

I know schools need help and that's why they send home the annoying fundraisers. I have three kids all in school, who bring the fundraiser stuff home thru out the year. I buy from my kids to help out their schools but since it's on going thru out the school year, it gets to be quite spendy, espcially when I really don't need anymore wrapping paper, cards, candy, breads and cookies...etc. I have a hard time saying no to the neighborhood kids that come to the door. I can't afford to buy from every kid that comes knocking plus my own? What is the nice and polite way to tell kids not to come?

I just tell them, so sorry, "I already bought some earlier and can't get anymore at this time, but good luck!"

When I was a kid, I would get the folks telling me that they already bought stuff from so-and-so, so now I just let them know the same thing - already bought some things from another kid doing the same fundraiser so I am tapped out, sorry but good luck!

We don't do school fundraisers. At all. If it is an extra activity, like cross country or boy scouts, then we do them (we signed up for it so I feel that is different). At the beginning of each year, I send a note to each child's teacher telling them that we don't do fundraisers and not to bother to send the stuff home with the kids. It isn't safe for kids to go door to door, and with 6 kids, it is simply impossible to track all of the money and stuff. Each fundraiser that the school does, I send a check directly to the school for $10 as my contribution (which is usually alot more than my child could raise even if I did let them go door to door).

Once my kids are in 9th grade, and are responsible enough to handle the money, go out in groups and sell, etc., then they have the choice to participate in the fundraiser if they want. My older girls did decide to do fundraisers starting in 9th grade, but again they were usually for a specific thing that they signed up for like varsity cheerleading or something.

As far as buying from the neighbor kids, I don't. I don't even buy from my own, why would I buy from the neighbors. I do the food shelf, toy shelf, that kind of stuff, but why would I spend $10 on a roll of wrapping paper when I can buy a roll at WalMart for $1 (especially when the school gets such a very small portion of the actual sale).

Finally, as far as the prizes, we do something as a family when the school distributes the prizes - that night we go to WOW Zone or something and I tell the kids either I can spend the money on crappy popcorn or wrapping paper OR we can do something fun . . . they would much rather do the Zone :)

Set a limit of what you can give for the year.
Contact the school to see how many fund raisers they have throughout the year.

See what the percentage is for the school to receive, and then see if you can give to the program and not purchase the selling items. The school will get more money if you can donate to the program and not the company sponsoring the fund raising.

I know, we are in the same situation. Our neighborhood has lots of kids and they all come to the door even though our kids are selling too. I have heard other parents say things like "I buy one thing from every kid" or put down other parents for not buying from other peoples kids. But I think it is crazy, I cannot afford to buy from every kid and the stuff is garbage anyway. It is such an awkward situation!!!!!

I Hate school fundraisers!!!!!!!

Talk to your school and/or PTA and ask them if they have an opt out option. My son's school has this. Instead of buying/selling (and with most of these fund raisers the school only gets somewhere between 8-20 cents of every dollar spent) ask them if you could just write them a one time check amount for the year (it was $75 for my son's school). They get %100 of what you give (cuts out the middle man) and you don't have to buy/sell/deliver and spend all your time on this. When people try to sell to you, you can tell them you wrote a check and you've done your part.

A sign on your door that reads "No Solicitors".:) But you could also just be honest and say you don't have any money to buy anything.

To neighbor kids, simply say "I'm sorry, I've already bought some" or "No thank you, I don't need any at this time."

I NEVER buy anything from other kids, in fact in our neighborhood I don't remember the last time any kids went door to door as we all know that 90% of the houses in our neighborhoods have kids who are all doing fundraisers for various things so we don't allow our kids to even go ask.

To my own kids there is one school fundraiser that my husband and I refuse to support because we just think the whole thing is so ridiculous (long story). It's one of those where they tell the kids if you sell X number of items you can when such and such a prize. It drives us crazy. So this year our kids were so upset about us not allowing them to try to earn this prize that we created our own contest instead. We provided possible prizes for the kids to earn through different chores around the house. We still support the school through quite a few other fundraisers but we sit this one out.

my kids hated doing these-as i did..im all about helping-but i really dont feel its our kids job to raise money for the schools-thats what our taxes pay for.not to mention what a danger it is to our kids-i told the schools my kids will no longer participate in being pimped out-we never saw where the money went etc.and the kids that came to the door-said the same thing-at the beginning of the year i had to dish out cash for all holiday parties for the yr,plus lunches an feild trips-ran me about 400.00 between the 2 kids-so what was the extra money being used for?? no clue.so i put a stop to it-if there was a bake sale etc.we would gladly pitch in.i was a single parent working full time plus-every dime counted-their dad never helped out.no you do have the option to say ..NO...

It is not impolite to say no, if you can't, you can't, just be nice and say thanks for asking!

I would suggest that you take an active role at school if you can. Get involved in your PTA or PTO and change the fundraising modle if you don't like it, there are tons of ways for PTO's and PTA's to make money that do not involve children selling things. There truly can be something for everyone so that they don't have to spend money on the "middle man" type of fundraisers that many parents find annoying. Unfortunately, fundaraising is here to stay because taxes are not paying for things like field trips, visiting authors, academic contests (like battle of the books, spelling bees, etc) field days, and artist in residence programs, so parent organizations are picking up the slack on more and more of these items. Different communities value different programs, and that is something that you should can get involved in too, if you think that the money needs to go to programs that you would value more than what is going on now in your school community. There really is something for everyone, something that you can do only one time, something you can do from home, something that may displace your feelings of obligation (and annoyance) to purchase items you don't need. For some, money is short, and time is plenty, and your contribution should be valued as much as any other. If your school PTO/A climate is difficult, get in there and change that too, it can be done, and the kids will benefit.

I prefer to spend money at school when more of it goes to the children, and not the company who sold the goods, and straight donations to any PTO/A are always accepted! a $20 bill goes much further than a $20 order for wrapping paper in getting the kids on the bus to the art museum...you do have options.

1 / 3