School Bully

My child, who is 15 and 140 pounds, was beaten by a 200 plus 6ft football player. They started out joking and the bigger child got mad. He broke my son nose, fracture his teeth and jaw bones. My first instinct was to call the police. The school did not even give him medical help. We have to have a CT Scan done and surgery to repair his nose. They just asked him if he needed something. The other parent has not contacted us at all. I could press charges but they school and the police said the other parent could press charges to and they both would be picked up because my son hit him back. I feel it's unfair that we are stuck with medical bills and the other boy only gets 3 days alone with my son. The bigger boy has returned to school. My son is still out and under the docter's care. What do I do.

To answer soom of your questions, I spoke with the principle and he could not and would not assure me that my son would be ok if he returned to school. My son has begged me and his dad not to send him back to this school. I have cried, gotten mad, angry, frustrated and blame my self for not calling the police when I walked in the office. Now I'm ready to legally fight. I am trying to locate a attorney in Jackson, MS to take my case. I told my son he may be picked up by the police, if the other parent press charges but I would be there to bell him out.

Now from my understand, there were 3 boys playing on the Thursday before the fight as they were getting ready to march in the homecoming parade, my son, another boy, and this bully the boys started playing. The bully hit my son in the mouth, playing supposly, and the other boy jump on the big boy back. My son kick the big boy and ran. From my understand everyone just laugh about it until some of the other football player told the bully, "Man I wouldn't let him get away with that". The school boys were going to take them back to the school and the parents had to pick them up. My son was not aware that the bully had already told the other boys that he was going to get my son when he got on the bus. I called my son and told him if he had his book bag not to get on the bus and just meet me and we would go home from there. He wanted to ride the bus with his team and was not aware that he was going to be beat up until we recieve the school report from the principle after the fight.

We have given our contact information to the school to give to the parent but he has not called. Someone suggested a attorney to me and I contacted his office only to find out he's out until Wednesday, Nov 12. Ladies thank you so much. Even though I'm married, I feel as though I'm going through this by myself.

We tried to press charges only to find out that Hinds County handles things different with youth. We called the Hinds County Youth Court here in Jackson, Mississippi, since they would be the ones handling the case. We were told since the school suspended both boys, the court will not get involve because they fill that that would be double punishment for the boy. The father never called us back and we were advice to just file charges againist the parent to help with medical bills. I asked if this happen again then can we file charges, they said only if the school don't get involve. That's why bullies can keep doing what they do here in Mississippi.

I know that you will not want to hear this but I would press charges. This is the only way that the other child is going to learn that he can not go around beating up other and not having to deal with the consequences. I said that you would not want to hear this.

You need an attorney asap. Your initial consultation will be free of charge. You need to press charges against the school for not enforcing mandatory Anti-Bully laws. You also need to press charges against the child who has done this to your son.

Here's the catch: if your son hit the boy FIRST, you have no case against him or the school. If your son did not throw punches until AFTER the beating began, then your son was within his legal boundaries to attempt to protect himself through self defense because he feared for his life.

I do hope for your son's sake that he did not throw the first punch. You do have legal recourse, and you need to take action immediately. Many attorneys will answer their phones on Sundays. If not, leave messages and they will return your calls tomorrow.

Good luck with this. If you need anything, do not hesitate to message me.

A.

i would call the police and file a report. this is just terrible, i am so sorry for your son and for you. you have to stand up for him, because if you don't, no one else will. nothing may ever come of calling the police, but you son will see that you stood up for him and he doesn't have to be abused. trust me, stand up for him, God Bless You!

You need to go speak with an attorney immediately to find out what needs to be done. They will guide you and let you know what rights you and your son has.

I would put him back in private school or homeschool.

My husband was bullied a lot in middle school, and after a while it got so severe that his parents pulled him out and home schooled him. The school never got involved in terms of disciplining the other kids. So my husband home schooled for a couple years, got his GED, went to nursing school and graduated with his RN (two year degree) at age 19. You may consider home schooling as an option for your son's educational needs. (I'm reading up on it right now - a couple books called "The Homeschooling Handbook" and "The Well-Adjusted Child" give some very helpful information about how to get started, legal issues, and socialization.)

As for the incident at hand - the school is looking out for themselves. "Zero tolerance" policies are a joke, because they punish kids who defend themselves, which is absurd. I'd say talk with the other parents, keep detailed records, make a police report, talk to an attorney, and if necessary press charges. Taking it to the press may also be a good idea, but think about the pros and cons of that approach before going that route. (Get legal advice.)

that's a tough one J.. I think I'd start out by meeting with the parents of the other boy first without the two teens. Then after the adults chat, add the boys to the group and discuss it with them. Sounds like boys beig boys then getting out of hand. I'm thinking the other parents would want to know. And if you present it well you may find they respond favorable offering help with the expenses along with an apology from their son. Hopefully it goes that well for you.

Good Luck! God Bless you and your family. In the very least, this will be a lesson well-learned by your son. ONce again, if you present it well to him so he understands this is the consequences of his own actions along with those of the other boy. You could always insist he pay some of his own medical expenses from his allowance, if he recieves one each week. That's another idea for teaching him to make better choices about how he plays around, etc. just a suggestion from one who wasn't there to truly know what happened and how it all escalated.

Hi, I'm a single mother of 2 boys 9yr. old and 5mnths.I understand your pain. The school is telling you that because they know that they could be held responsible. I have a friend who went thru the same thing if you press charges they should pick up only the other kid because you press charges first and your son had to seek medical attention and I can bet you that his parents would be responsible for those medical bills.If it been happened and you feel it's to late let them know that you was confussed and did know what to do because of what the school told you and you also need to call and talk to the school board. If you let them get away with it they would try it on someone else. I will pray for you and your family.

I would file a police report. In some states, there is a self-defense clause that negates the "he hit back so it's a wash" theory. Louisiana has one.

In Louisiana you can contact your local Families Helping Families office to learn more about the state regulations and get advise on how to proceed based on your circumstances.

Find the office near you at www.fhfla.org

1 / 3