Scheduled Vs. Emergency C-section

With my daughter roughly 4 years ago, I had an emergency c-section. We're having a boy here in about 7 weeks and I'm going to have a c-section with him. I'm just wondering, since I probably won't be in labor with him like I was with my daughter, are things different afterwards when it's a scheduled c-section vs. emergency (after laboring) c-section? The things I remember most are the pain when trying to go to the bathroom (BM), and pain after waiting to have sex weeks later. (Mostly concerned about the bathroom pain since it happens a lot more often!) I'm also getting my tubes "tied" while they're in there, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Wow, I greatly appreciate the responses here. My doctor doesn't even perform vbacs so the person who suggested I do that, it's out of the question and I don't really feel like I need to go that route. I appreciate the different opinion though, but I have to ask, is there something wrong with asking a question about pain so that I can be most prepared for what's ahead of me? (Of course, I know the answer to that is No.)

It makes sense to me now that whenever you have abdominal surgery, your muscles are going to have pain when you strain to go to the bathroom. For some reason, I was equating that to the labor with my first child. Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice, ladies!

I had an emergency c-section so to speak with my first daughter. Her heart rate was dropping so we had to get her out of there fast. They knocked me out and I saw my baby 4 hrs later. I totally remember the pain of not being able to have a BM and smelly gas. Lol. My second daughter was a scheduled c-section and it was so much better. I got to see my daughter first and the pain seemed less intense. I don't remember having any problems using the bathroom. Also I was awake the whole time even after her birth so I could talk to everybody. I am also having a c-section with my baby boy due on July 1st. It is scheduled also and I definitely want to stay awake and see him first thing. Good luck and Congratulations.

emotionally, yes.....a scheduled c-section is easier.

physically, pretty much they're the same. Good luck & wishing you a speedy recovery!

For me.. the first time labored for a really long time.. just so worn out.. ect.. the second c-section planned.. all in all I felt I healed faster b/c I didn't tire out from the labor and added stress.. Felt like I could get up and walk with less pain sooner.. Although the bathroom issue was the same :( but maybe ask the nurse what meds for stoole softner they like.. recently my daughter under peditrican recomendation takes miralax.. I tried some b/c I was off from taveling.. It worked better than the stuff they gave me when I had a c-section.. looking back I wished I would of knowen about miralax.. It used to be Rx but it is now sold over the counter.. sex didn't hurt as bad.. just take things slow..
Best of luck. (sorry if this was too much TMI)

C., I had the same situation down to the tubes tied! The BM issue happens no matter what kind of surgery you have, make sure you are given a stool softner to hellp with that situation. I found that the C-Section pain was less with the second, I think because the nerves in that area had already been cut once.

Good Luck, M.

C., I had a planned c-section a year ago and had my tubes tied at the time; no problems there. The BM pain is the same, just drink lots of water and take that stool softener they give you. Don't know if that answers your questions. An overall relatively easy recovery.

My first c-section occurred after 36 hours of labor. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for 3 months afterwards. My next two c-sections were scheduled and boy, were they easier. It's still a long recovery process, but w/o the labor and exhaustion preceding the surgery, it's SO much easier. I also had my tubes tied during the last c-section and it did not seem to affect my recovery at all. Just take the stool softeners, drink water, and take it easy. Good luck.

I had the same situation. First pregnancy was 14 hours of labor and then c section. Then with my second we scheduled it. I can't say that the afterwards was any less painful but you aren't nearly as tired as you are with the other. Maybe not AS painful but it was still painful. In regards to the tired I remember just not being able to get enough sleep at all with my first and with my second I was bright eyed and good after the delivery. I do remember asking my doctor the same thing and he said that any time you mess with any of your insides they will be in shock for a time and that is what causes the bathroom issues like you were asking about (I didn't have those problems with my first but did with my second) so I think in regards to that it just depends on the person!

I hope that helps and CONGRATULATIONS on your new bundle of joy!!

I had my 2nd c-section (scheduled this time) about 2 years ago, however, I haven't had my tubes tied (can't speak to that party. I can tell you that the pain when using the bathroom and moving around is still there. When they cut through the muscles in your mid-section, it's going to cause pain when you try to twist, bend, stand, and anything else that requires those muscles until they heal.

Good luck! It's worth it!

Like others said you will have pain but it doesn't seem as bad and yes get up and start walking as soon as they let you that helps. I had my tubes tied too but which was nice. If you have your baby naturally and want your tubes tied you have to wait 6 weeks or more before they will do the procedure. I wish you best wishes to you and your family. God bless.

1 / 3