Scary Movie for 13 Yr Old

I am looking to buy a "scary movie" for my soon to be 13 yr old's birthday. Not something TOO scary - PG13 is fine. I've seen too many scary movies, so I am jaded by what she might think is scary. She loves scary movies, but I haven't let her see too many. She is getting a DVD add-on for her laptop and I think she would love to have her first real scary movie from me (that way I can control what she is watching as well). Any suggestions as to what a good one might be?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all of the movie suggestions! The idea of the movie(s) was as a present for her - not to show at a birthday party to other kids.

The Skeleton Key
is rated PG 13, there is no Nudity or Bad Swares. I have seen many scary movies and this one really got to me. Its like a freaky Friday gone wrong. There is some Voodoo stuff and that really scares me. My 9 year old thought it was Great! Kate Hudson is really good in the movie.

Signs
with Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix its GREAT! it is scary, not a lot of violence no nudity and it is SCARY!

The Skeleton Key

Signs

I second Stephanie's suggestions. I couldn't come up with anything because scary movies don't usually scare me and I would probably recommend something that would scar her for life. :) But those are probably perfect, actually.

To help us help you... what scary movies has she seen and enjoyed?

by the way.. I think "Signs' is a superb movie. Not just the scare quality either. But a lot of movies that are full of heavy suspense done well, are FAR scarier than blood and guts and gore.

Oh.. Shellie... I had completely forgotten about Something Wicked this Way Comes! That is an excellent idea. My 11 yr old watched it with my 15 yr old niece last fall and they BOTH were scared! (not freaked out, but scared). Nothing to have scary dreams over or scar them, but definitely they were glad they weren't watching alone. :) And it is "old" so no graphic gore, or sex or anything like that. Just S-u-s-p-e-n-s-e and TENSION...

I don't get why the whole scary movie thing is okay at such a young age. My 14 yr old freaks out if I have CSI or Criminal Minds on when she walks in the room. It causes bad dreams too. I would not recomend it

Paranormal Activity
Halloween 1 & 2(The Rob Zombie Remakes)
Final Destination 1, 2, & 3

Those are some of my favorite scary movies, but if you're leaning towards scary but not TOO scary I'd go with the Halloween movies. Paranormal Activity had me afraid to sleep for weeks, and Final Destination is one of those movies that screws with your mind. After seeing the 2nd one I was afraid to be in a car! Lol

Please please please put on the invitation that a scary movie will be shown (maybe even the name so you don't have to field too many phone calls) so that the other parents can make an informed decision as to if they will send their kids to the party.

My sister LOVES scary movies (I'm talking SAW and all those gross ones) and I can't even watch the commercials!! One of my children would be FREAKED out for months if she saw a scary movie - and I would NOT want to deal with that! So , as other readers suggested pick a PG 13 and make sure the parents know what's going to be played.

Have a great night!!

My daughter loved "The Birds" and wants to watch Psycho. We also watched "The Sixth Sense".

We've enjoyed Tremors, it's not too scary, more like the B grade scary from the 50s. I do know a lot children her age that likes them.
Happy Thirteen Birthday to your daughter. My son is turning 16 on the 20th.
Blessings,

1 / 3