Scared to Death of Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Im scheduled to get a bottom impacted wisdom tooth removed that is also infected by a cavity. Im so terrified of needles and drills and pain. Does anyone have any experience with this type of procedure? I will be getting local anesthesia (novacaine)

Thank you all so much for the responses. After a Xray, the dentist found that the tooth didnt have a cavity, and didnt really need to come out. She said the tooth was currently coming in and that all the pain I was feeling was a result of the wisdom tooth putting so much pressure on my mouth. Its been a week, and I am no longer experiencing any pain. I am still going to get my wisdom teeth pulled, but I am going to wait until I can get them all pulled at the same time under sedation. Thanks!

Don't worry about it...here's a funny wisdom tooth-pulling story for you to laugh at...my sister had hers pulled about 3 years ago. She was 19 at the time and she was still out of it while my mom was driving her home...apparently, my sister told my mom EVERYTHING!!! She told her all the stuff she had done while in college and high school...it was hilarious and she just kept going! Then she started to spill the beans on me!!!! We still laugh about it...don't worry about it and try not to tell any secrets!! :)

When I was 20 I had all 4 wisdom teeth impacted not decaying due to cavaties but they needed to come out & I wanted them out.I was put to sleep no local & had all 4 done at the same office visit afterwards there was some discomfort but not in any pain that I can remember.

My MD gave me Valium to take 30 min prior. All I remember was laughing before it was done. See if they can get you something so you can relax.

Millions of people have gone through this experience and lived to tell about it! No, really! And the pain of getting a tooth removed is NOTHING compared to the pain of an infected tooth, especially over time.

If you're getting novicaine, you won't feel anything. In fact, you'll wonder where that side of your mouth went (and you'll talk funny afterwards for a while). You'll hear very strange noises, but that's all. Follow the dentist's instructions on how to take care of your mouth afterwards, and what pain relievers to take.

When you first go in, be sure to tell the dentist how frightened you are! You won't be the first, and you won't be the last, but they can't reassure you or help you if you don't let them know your fears.

I just had a broken wisdom tooth taken out with a bonus one underneath. I did it with local anesthesia. I did not feel a thing and it took like 20 minutes top. Just close your eyes if your scared of the instruments used. You could even bring an ipod or something to help with the noise.

I'm with the other Mamas -- you should either go to an oral surgeon & be knocked out entirely for the procedure, or request your dentist writes you a prescription for a valium you can take an hour before you go in for the extraction. On the one hand you'll be asleep so no worries, and on the other you'll be high & won't care about the needle. Win/win!

I had all 4 of mine taken out, the bottom were impacted. I was not knocked out. My insurance didn't cover general anesthesia, and out of pocket I would have had to pay 1200 on top of the 800 I was already paying for the extractions.
Honestly, just breathe. It's not as bad as you think it's going to be. They numb you extremely well because of the type of procedure. The only thing that might freak you out is hearing the tooth come out. It makes a sort of cracking noise, and you hear it because your ears are right there, BUT it's not painful because your numb. Just a weird noise. A simple fix for that is call the office and find out if they provide earphones for you. If they don't ask if you can bring in your on music/earphones.
It will cover some of that sound and it might also help you relax.
I know several dentists that do this just for regular procedures.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled when I was 21 years old. They didn't knock me out. They numbed me well, probably novacaine and used "laughing gas." No need to be scared to death. As long as you are numb, you won't feel a thing. Now, the sound of the drills you will hear and you will feel pulling and tugging...but no pain. You may be very swollen afterwards so use ice and follow the healing plan your dentist gives you.

I didn't read through your response but I just want to say- don't worry-everything will be fine. As far as the fear of the needles- do this when it's time for the shots to numb you. Think of something you know by heart-the Lords Prayer, the Pledge, ABC's, Happy Birthday- anyhing like that- then close your eyes and say that in your head over and over again- it will give you something to concentrate on. I find this works better than trying to picture something like the beach because you really have to think to say something over and over. Good luck!

When I had mine done, they let me have a valium an hour before hand. By the time they got to do it, I was feeling no pain. Maybe you could suggest this to your dentist if you're really nervous?

1 / 3