Scar Tissue? or Other Concern

My son (3) had to have stitches in his head after an accident around Thanksgiving this year. It has always been a bit swollen at the site of the injury but now he's had all the (7) stitches removed and it seems as if he has a bump under the skin where they sewed him up. Is this normal or should I be worried about it. His scar looks normal, no oozing or anything but it feels raised and as if there is either fluid or scar tissue underneath the surface. He tells me everytime I get close to his injury not to touch it, which tells me it is still very, very sensitive.

My son had a pretty good knock to the head...didnt need stitches, but it swole up like a golf ball. Once it healed there was still a bump...I asked the Dr about it and he said it was scar tissue and that it may or may not go away, but there was nothing we could do about it. It did finally go away, but it took about 6 months (and now he has fallen again on the same spot!! boys!). So, I would let your Doc look at it next time your in, just to make sure all is ok...then just try to be patient...it will most likely go away, just might take a while.

I think this is normal. I had brain surgery 9 years ago and had staples and if I recall the scar was a bit swollen and red for sometime. If it seems to bother him, I would have it looked at.

This may not help since I have no direct experience with stitches in children, but I used to work for a vet and have seen many animals with raised bumps after stitches. With them it always eventually went away. Some took longer than others, but it did eventually go away. Since the cut was deep enough to need stitches, it is most likely a 'scab' if you will, through all those multiple layers of skin that were damaged. Sure, the skin has healed enough that it doesn't need the support of the stitches anymore to hold it together, but it is still healing. Give it another week and try to leave it alone as much as possible (except for any cleaning that is needed). If it doesn't seem to be getting any better, ask the doctor. It may be hard to tell if it is going down, since you see your son every day. I'd take a picture at a few angles and then take the same ones in a week and compare.

Because of your son's reaction to you, I would monitor it and let the doctor know. It's probably too soon for it to be completely healed. But, if it is still painful, then I would definitely keep a close eye on it. My son hit his forehead one time super hard and he had a soft bruised spot for a couple of years. My doctor wasn't concerned, and it was the only issue. No pain. So, I would keep a close eye on it.

First of all sorry to hear about the incident....I hope all is well. I have a 10 year old daughter that had a minor surgery on her neck a few years back and the scar still looks raised. According to her it did not hurt it was just annoying that kids would mention it in school. I did talk to my doctor and he had mention to me that there was some sort of liquid that he could inject on the scar to help flaten it out. I don't know if it works though cause my daughter decided not to try it (she is afraid of shots), but a doctor with much experience in surgeries should be able to explain it to you. If not I am sure that there should be some kind of cream that you can by over the counter.

As far as pain I am more that sure that it no longer hurts but maybe he still feels numbness. Best of luck......Merry Christmas

Your son may have some keloidic tendencies. I am keloidic and have not suffered from it, though I do know where I got every scar from my life.

M G, sorry to hear about the accident that your little one had. I hope he is doing good.

I have a younger sister that had brain surgery when she was a pre teen. She complained of the incision hurting especially in the cold weather. She is now 30 yrs old and does not complain at all. Her scar was raised and red for about 5 yrs and now you really have to look for the scar in order to noticed it. It would not hurt to have him checked with his physician.

Best wishes,
E. M

hi M,

everyone scars differently and for some, raised scar tissue, or Keloids, is perfectly normal. even in the same family our bodies scar uniquely. If you are concerned do show it to a doctor but this does not sound abormal and it might last a very very long time, if not forever. I'm sorry to hear about his injury. That must have scared you to death. If it is not oozing, smelling, and the doctor removed the stitches without expressing concern, I'd let it go and not worry.

1 / 3