Scar Tissue After Breast Lump Removal

Updated on July 29, 2010
M.S. asks from Papillion, NE

Hi - About 3 years ago I had a lump removed from my breast. Before that I had a biopsy done and had it looked at with an ultrasound. It was determined that it was a lymph node and non cancerous. However, I wanted it out cause the idea of an obvious lump in my breast terrified me. I went back about a year and a half later because it felt like another lump had formed around the same area, but down a little. The doctor checked it out and I also had a mamogram. It was determined that it was scar tissue. This week-end I noticed that it's starting to hurt around the area of the surgurgy. I've been feeling around there and that lump scares me again. I keep thinking that it's not scar tissue and something else. Any of you ladies who have had a lump removed get a scar tissue lump after surgery? I plan on calling the doctor for an appointment. I am in need of mamogram but was just curious if others have gone through this scar tissue stuff.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Indianapolis on

Cancerous lumps don't hurt - they have no nerve endings. I learned the hard way by finding a swollen lymph node on my collarbone a few weeks after my daughter's birth and was diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma a few weeks later.

If you are even remotely concerned, don't ignore that little voice in your head. When we were trying to figure out what was going on with me, my OB/GYN and Family Practitioner both referred me for breast ultrasounds - all of which were clear.

Peace of mind is priceless - if you make a call, they will direct you appropriately based upon your medical history.

Good luck. I hope it's scar tissue and nothing of greater concern.

answers from Milwaukee on

I have a simular experience. After loosing 200 pounds I had a breast reduction and lift. A lump showed up 8 months later and i had a ultra sound and later a biopsy. It was removed and later tested further and negitave for cancer. I was told it was scar tissue also. Then about 6 months later I had a lump the size of a candy circus peanut that my underwire in my bra would press on and I even felt it when sleeping. I know the "Lump" should be painless but it is like having a rock in my bra! They will not even do a biopsy but they do a momo.once a year and remark on its growth!. Two years later I am still upset that nother else will be done about it!!! I will be watching for other answeres to your post. I hear you ...."sister"..... M. in Wisconsin

answers from Providence on

I am in the same situation right now...I have had 2 lumpectomys 1 benign 1 cancer and 6 months after 2nd. Lumpectomy anther lump..I have a lot of pain and redness in the breast..All lumps were 10 11 and now 12 oclock as they call it..I also have very hard scar tissue in the breast ..same as 1 st/ operation...I have another biopsy on 6/7/2010

answers from San Francisco on

I have scar tissue after the removal of a lump, so yes, it does happen. The scar tissue probably feels bigger than the original lump.

Have you been feeling the scar tissue and pressing on it a lot in your concern? Scar tissue is tender, and maybe it's hurting from your pressing on it. Don't touch it for two or three days, and then it probably won't hurt. If it does still hurt, see another doctor, because a second doctor telling you it's scar tissue will reassure you. A second opinion is always a good idea in these cases.

I have a feeling it's just scar tissue.

answers from San Antonio on

I have the same problem. I don't have a mammogram scheduled until December. Last year, the doctor said that it is still healing. (I had my lump removed in March, 2009.) Any comments? D.

Next question: Mammogram Panic