Sanitary Pad Comfort for 11 Year Old Girls

I have an 11 year daughter who has friends that are already getting their period. My friends moms are having a difficult time finding pads or tampons that are comfortable for their young daughters. I would like to put togehter a little care package for my daughter so when her time comes she will have the right size pads along with comfort. My question is do any of you have any suggestions for these girls on what to buy? Any advice would be very helpful for my daughter in the future and for me to give to these other moms.

HI! My daughter was 11 when she started too. She likes the always with wings the pink size they are the smallest. She also will use the long always pantyliners. I made a little bag for her to keep at school and then one for her overnight bag. I put a clean pair of panties, fem wipes, and the pads. I also gave her lots of pre-preparation of what to expect so that she wouldn't freak out!Hope this helps!

I am just about in the same boat with you. What I have been doing for the last year is getting samples. Do a search on the net and contact the companies, a lot of the companies already offer samples. I have a few different sizes and brands no tampons, I don't feel that young girls should start out with them. But that is my opinion.

Hope this helps out.
~ K.

I started mine out on panty liners - then moved up to just a mini/regular. Mine wouldn't wear a tampon if you paid her!

I must be the odd one here, but I have never like pads with wings. I always end up with overflow, no matter how thick they are. I would not want her to have to worry about that. Anyway, I got my daughter Carefree slims when she started at 11. She likes them and the regular Always...we have never tried the wings because I never liked them. I gave her a pocket calendar and taught her how to keep track of her cycle so that she would know when to expect it each month. That way she can carry extra stuff in her purse when she is getting close. What a good idea to get her a "care package" together...especially the chocolate. Good luck!

Just today I took my niece to get something for her. She started last month (10 years old, 11 in August), and is using Panty Liners - more comfortable and her flow is not heavy. Funny thing - she was fine with her period the first month she had it, when it came again the next month- she was a little perturbed - she thought it was a one-time only deal
:)

If the tampon is not comfortable, it is not inserted correctly. Once in, it is flexible and moves with your body and you should not be able to feel it. Those that find them uncomfortable, most likely do not have them inserted far enough. It may take a couple months before young girls are ready to try tampons, but I cannot immage having a busy teanage life and using pads. It is not just swimming that has to be avoided, but pads make all types of excercise uncomfortable. I'm sure you can play sports with pads, but eww . . . doesn't sound very comfortable.

Have you considered cloth pads or the luna or diva cup? I personally use cloth myself and it is much more comfortable then any pad or tampon on the market. Plus regular sanitary pads leach blood from the body because of the chemicals in them so periods are more painful with more cramping and worse bleeding. I make my own, but one website you can check out for cloth is here: www.gladrags.com
Or you can google others. They are just like regular store bought pads only you wash them. They come in pretty fabrics and colors and some have wings and snaps to stay put. Some also come with cute little carriers and places to stash them until they get to the wash. This is what I plan on doing for my daughter. I think it is wonderful that you care so much about your daughter to think about this in advance and to have something special prepared for the day.

My best advice is to get all the small packages of every different pad you can along with Midol and Pamprin, a heating pad or bottle and some chocolates. Everyone has a different idea of comfort, so just make sure she has an assortment to try and choose from. You might also remind her that she may just have to endure some discomfort until her cycle is over. Maybe you could start a mom supervised support group for these young girls so they will have a safe environment to discuss their cycles, emotions and coping mechanisms without fear of embarrassment or ridicule.

How thoughtful you are! The pads we like the best are the Always Ultra Thin regular and the Always mini-pads. If you find a tampon that works please let me know. My 12 yo hasn't yet asked to be able to use them yet but her older sisters use them and I know they are much less messy and want to be prepared when she does. I know another mom said your period will stop while swimming but I haven't found that to be the case with myself or my girls.

1 / 3