Sandbox with Rice Instead

I recall having seen somebody on here a while ago talking about a sandbox full of rice instead of sand and now I can't find the post to read on it again... Anyhow, my boys track a bunch of sand into the house so I was thinking of trying out the idea but before I load up on giant bags of rice at Costco, I was hoping to get some input from anyone that has done this and what they think. Does the rice make as big of a mess? Also, for some reason we had a lot of small spiders camping out in our sandbox so I was wondering if the rice will attract birds or bugs. (It's a plastic box with a lid and we keep it on the covered patio.)
Thanks in advance! :o)

Wow! I was only expecting a couple of responses so there was a lot to read, LOL! I think I'm going to try the pea gravel and make a small bin of rice or beans just for in the house. I had to chuckle a bit when I read all of the worries about exploding birds. I didn't realize that so many people still believe that-- it's untrue! Birds actually eat rice in the wild to fatten up and the dried rice that is used for cooking digests very similarly. :)
Thanks for the help!

Someone asked about it not being easy to clean up. My daughter has a tub we use only inside with one bag each of uncooked rice, beans and salad macaroni noodles. It doesn't stick on crevices or on clothes like sand. And it vacumns right up. She has had a blast with it. I made it a couple weeks ago after seeing the same post, and it has kept her very entertained. (She is 2.5) I put a tablecloth on the floor and ask her to try to keep it on the tablecloth. Then I just pull up the edges until everything that has been spilled falls to the middle and scoop it back up into the container. It's been great. But like I said, this is for indoor use only.

Well, I woldn't normally bother to mention it...but after reading all the other's posts, thought I might as well. Have you thought about pea gravel? It is very easy to clean up and off. I got mine at a concrete place...they loaded my truck up for $50!!! (couldn't beat that!) Home depot, Lowe's and all those places sell it in bags as well. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Rice in a sandbox is for indoor boxes only.Moisture and bugs will be a problem in an outdoor box.

There is a local kids playplace I go to that has this amazing powdery sandbox sand. It dusts off very, very easily, so maybe you can find something like that?

Rice is FOOD !!! You don't play with food. My Goodness what is the world coming to when kids can't play with real sand anymore . Really?? What are we teaching our kids?? Mom is affraid of a little mess so we get to play with food while other people in this country and around the world go hungry?? Cook and eat the rice. Play with sand.

we(and many friends of ours) used it in the sand table,my boys had fun. Birds did come visit us often for the rice that was dropped in the grass (we never had any dead ones ). It is easier to clean up before coming to the house since it does not stick the same way.If water gets in it it will grow mold in the heat though. They can not really build with it, but my boys liked just playing with trucks in it.

I can't imagine that the rice won't be tracked in and hidden in clothes much like the sand. Can you imagine your washer...the gigantor rice cooker? I'm interested to hear about someone's experience who's done this.

Are you kidding me Jane M?? I think it would be great fun! It would be so cool to have a pool full of rice and swim and attempt to walk in it. Kind of like the old dying lady in Patch Adam's and her pool of noodles! Grated you can't make sand castles, but for your sanity sake I would try the rice for an indoor box. I think once O is older I'll try that!

I work at a learning center. The play sand we are using is very dusty. I am considering rice but will that attract bugs or Mice!!

1 / 3