Sandbox

At what age is it a good idea to get a sandbox?

We just got a sand box for my 2 yo nephew. we did not put sand in there though because it's too dangerous, could get in eyes and in pants and underwear if not careful, and mouth when wind blows.

So...we bought small garden rocks from Home Depot and voila! It's perfect and he knows not to eat the pebbles. They are bigger than marbles, and oddly shaped, not round.

I made a sandbox from a large under the bed plastic storage container from the container store for $10 and a 20lb bag of sand for about $5, and my now 3 year old son and 21-month old daughter love playing in it. It's portable, and when the sand is all emptied out, you can refill it with another cheap bag of sand or fill it with water to make water fun for the summer with boats in it. Kids love variety with their toys. This beats taking them to the park to play in the big sandbox and getting covered with sand from head to toe just to carry it back into your car for the ride home (but we still go to the park for the occasional fun big, big sandbox play), it's movable, and cheaper than the cheapest sand table I found at Toys'R'Us for the Little Tikes sand play table ($42.99). Also, remember after sand play, use BABY POWDER to easily wipe off the sand from their hands, feet...It works great. Have fun playing!

Your son is old enough to enjoy a sandbox.

I just made a cedar plank sandbox(4' x 4' x 6")for our 26 month old granddaughter. She enjoys it and although not as big and deep as some, it is good enough for two toddlers.

IMPORTANT: teach sandbox safety and ettiquette right from the start: NO throwing sand; how to brush sand 'down' off one's hands and clothes; keep sand in the box and leave the surrounding mulch out. I keep a hose and towel nearby to rinse & dry when done.

Last year, between her 1st and 2nd birthday we used a large plastic storage container similar to the one mentioned in a previous reply. She loved the feel of the sand between her toes. She enjoys a plastic set of little animal shaped molds, a scoop, rake, and pail. She also likes me to 'write' in the sand - another good idea for teaching letters!

Be sure to buy playsand, not garden sand, and keep it covered: I framed a section of wood lattice and attached a scratch resistant screen to one side to use as a cover against leaves and animals, and it looks attractive. Also, when I made the bench seats for two sides I attached each of them with brass hinges so I can easily lift them back to check for insects or spiders who like dark places to nest.

To keep fine sand from flying about in the wind and getting into eyes keep it slightly moist by adding a little water and stirring up the whole batch.

Enjoy!

I have to agree with everyone here...go for it. It is my 3 year old sons favorite activity. I can start dinner if I tell him he can go play in it. (I can see him out the kitchen window). We have had it sense he was about 18 months. He ate a little sand a first, not too much, but he was much younger then. Be prepared to strip him at the door or vacuum a lot...and about 3 shampoos to get it all out of their hair. I totally agree about the lid, I always make sure it is covered before bedtime. Hope this helps.

We got our son a sandbox when he was about 1, and it has been a staple of outside play since! He's 5 today, and still loves to play in it. In fact, we also have one of those sand/water tables, too.

A.

Your little boy is the perfect age, and you don't need all those special sand toys ! Of course, there are some sturdy plastics you'll want, but used plastic measuring cups & spoons, etc. are great. My son is 6 1/2 and he can't wait to go outside & play. He got a huge dump truck, and even builds runways for his planes. **I tried the 'small pebble' version with my older daughter: NO ! it might be convenient for parents, but not as fun. The rocks don't flow thru the siting toys; it doesn't hold together like sand. You might need to hose 'em down, and sand might even get in their pants and socks (oh, no!), but it's childhood !! Have fun - and don't forget to participate. God bless !

We bought my son a sandbox when he was 2...perfect age. He absoultely loved it. Defintely makes sure you get one with a lid otherwise you will have every cat in the neighborhood using it as their litter box.

You must also take into consideration wild animals in your area for example, I live near snakes, turtles and alligators which are always in my yard. My 7th grade science teacher told my class (way back when...)that if you get a grain of sand in your eye and scratch it that it could damage your eye forever and I guess that image always stuck in my head...Sorry to be the depressing, negative response...

1 / 3