Salivary Gland Issues

Last December, I woke up one morning, ate breakfast and noticed a sore, large bump on my neck. I went to the doctor who told me it was "just" an engorged salivary gland. It lasted about 10 days. It was medium sized when I wasn't eating, but when I ate it was really engorged. It was gone for a week, then it came back for a week. The doctor told me just to suck and chew sour candy and gum. Now, it's May and it is coming back, but the bump is smaller and there only when I eat. It gradually goes down after meals. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? I asked the doctor if he thought it was a tumor and he said no because the bump would just stay there. I also don't have any other symptoms. The doctor said a little "stone" might come out into my mouth. But, I haven't seen one. I wonder if I should try a naturopath doctor to find out what else I can do. My tongue doesn't always appreciate the candy (or my sugar level). I don't have any friends/family that this has ever happend to, and I feel like an oddball.

That exact thing happened to me! I finally went to an ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor who told me that the liquid in my salivary gland had been there so long it was likely infected. I took antibiotics and she gave me some mouth rinse to use a few times a day. I had to do two rounds of antibiotics and then it went away! Good luck.

This happened to my husband and he had a total blockage. He ended up having the gland removed. It would get really big when he ate salty foods. He hasn't had any problems since and it's been 10+ years. Good luck! M.

I have had this happen to me. You may have a salivary stone. While sour candy and gum might increase your saliva production and possibly "wash" out a tiny stone, and while you may be able to dissolve a larger stone by eating/sucking on acidic foods (like pickles, lemons, etc), if the stone is very large you may do damage to your enamel on your teeth long before the stone is small enough to pass through the saliva duct. I only felt a stone on one side, but an oral surgeon took x-rays and found stones on both undersides of my tongue. I had the stones removed; one was the size of a cherry pit and the other a large watermelon seed. Both had adhered and felt like velcro ripping out when they were removed (under novocaine). About a month later, my brother had some dental work done and the dentist noticed a small stone on his x-ray. Just using hand pressure, he was able to squeeze out a loose stone the size of a mustard seed through the duct without cutting.

I did have this happen to me a couple of years back. I was worried and annoyed by it and actually thought I had an ear infection or TMJ or something... until a co-worker said that it may be a clogged saliva gland. I went to the doctor and they confirmed that is just what it is. As I remember, they did not really give me anything for it or do any procedure, I do remember the advice of sucking on sour candies and working it to unplug. Which eventually it did and I have not had a recurrence. I forgot about it until seeing your note. So, don't stress, it should disappear soon and you are NOT an oddball :)

C.,

I would get it looked at. I worked in 3 oral surgeons offices years ago, & it may be a blocked salivary gland. Pretty easy to take care of. The fact that it gets bigger & smaller is consistent with a clogged duct.

However, it could be a tumor. My dad actually had this a few months ago & went to specialists & had 2 bouts of antibiotics & it didn't clear up. He had a biopsy & came back suspicious for cancer. He met with three ENTs & ended up having it removed by the head of the ENT dept. at the UW last month. Thankfully, it wasn't cancer....it was just chronically inflammed! Better to know for sure, though!

Good luck. I'm sure it's nothing, but as a mom....we have to take care of ourselves, too.

i would recommend going to an oral surgeon or an Ear, Nose throat specialist. I had a very similiar situation on the bottom of my mouth and it was a blocked salivary duct. the oral surgeon removed it and i have not had any problems since. I don't know if this has anything to do with pregnancy, but i got my when i was pregnant with my second. Good luck!

My husband just had the same thing, and he saw a naturopathic doctor who had him take some homeopathic Parotid tablets. They worked! He was better in two days, and completely symptom free in three days and still gone. He said the doctor did some really unconventional things to come to the point where he diagnosed and prescribed a treatment, but it worked so maybe there is some truth in what they do?

I had this a few years ago and my doctor said it was an infection, common for people in their 20's. He gave me a normal course of antibiotics and that took care of it. It has never reoccurred.

Yeah, I had that happen. I ended up going to Dr. Slaughter in Medford he is a Oral & Maxillofacial specialist and he got the stone out.
Also, if you massage your salivary duct, it's that funny thing underneath your tongue behind your bottom teeth, that made saliva shoot out for me and lessen the discomfort.

Good Luck.

1 / 3