Salicylic Acid and Breastfeeding

So my skin is a mess and I splurged on a delightfully expensive moisturizer at Sephora today that promises to make me beautiful :). BUT I just noticed that it contains 2.0% salicylic acid. I'm still breastfeeding. I cruised around on the web and found mixed results about its safety. I am supposed to "ask a health professional" about using it, but I thought maybe I'd ask the Mamas first. What do you think? Okay to use or should I wait?

I wouldn't use it,unless it is an extreme case of acne that needs to be treated. There are other options. Salicylic acid is aspirin, which is not given to children at all, much less infants. So unless there is a really strong reason for using it, I would not.

Hi S. -

I have breastfed three babies all while using Proactiv (which contains benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid). I did the research too and asked my doctor. We weighed the cost benefit (I had really painful huge acneous cysts which Proactiv took care of) and he told me to continue using it. Any other acne medicine they would put me on would be much more harmful. All three babies have been fat and happy, healthy every one (my oldest is 6). I understand about being cautious. It depends on your comfort level for sure! Good luck with the decision.

A. T.

If you are just using it topically I don't think it would be a problem. I think the warnings are there because salicylic acid is the main ingredient in aspirin which you aren't supposed to ingest while pregnant or nursing. I use that St. Ives Apricot Scrub which also has salycilic acid in it and I definitely used it while I was nursing and pregnant. Many skin care products to have it--especially acne lotions and cleansers. It works the same way a chemical peel does, eating away the dead skin to reveal the newer skin beneath. So if you are just washing or moisturizing your skin with it I can't see that it would be a problem.

I used one while pregnant and the doc said it was fine so I would think the same would apply during breastfeeding

I have seen a dermatologist for years, and when I was pregnant & breastfeeding salicylic acid products are what he prescribed. He basically said the same thing as the previous quote from Dr. Hale - minimal effects with topical use. Hope the advice - and your new product :) - are helpful.

I didn't even THINK about that when I was nursing. So many cleansers/toners/moisturizers have it in there! I nursed 2 boys through it and they were fine, but I guess if you are that worried about it, checking w/a professional would be a good idea.

I have been using it. I have a toner with salicylic acid.

I just researched it on Dr. Hale's site. He is the one source all lactation professionals turn to for medications and breastfeeding. Here is his answer (straight from the horse's keyboard):

The amount of these agents absorbed transcutaneously is nil to minimal. They should not be a problem at all.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

(http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/59/8049.html?###-###...)

1 / 3