Sailor Suit or Not?

Hi everyone...hopefully I can get some honest opinions. We are taking our children with us on a cruise next month and I am torn on what to dress my 2 1/2 yr old son in for the formal dinner. I thought it might be cute to either put him in a sailor suit or one of those old fashioned knickers/suspenders with a hat outfit for the occasion. I just wanted to know other mom's thoughts on whether the sailor suit is tacky or if I should just go with the knickers.

T.-

I just came back from a cruise last week. At the formal night the men were wearing suits, ladies in dresses and most of the little kids were wearing khaki pants and polo shirts. I think that he would look out of place in the knickers. The sailor outfit would be a better choice.

Have a great time!

I think both are cute ideas for dinner. I love sailor suits on baby or toddler boys....as long as they are the cutesy ones and not like a 'captain' style with vest, patches and all! :) Enjoy it!!

I would totally go with the sailor suit! Since he's two and a half he's going to get tons of attention from that cute outfit. Hey he might even get to meet the captin of the ship and be able to "help" drive the ship :)

Have a great time!

Have a great time!

T.-

Have a great time!

Oh yeah, go with the sailor suit!! It would be so adorable!

I am not found of the Sailor suits. i would just dress him up in pants and a dress shirt.

Please no sailor suit or knickers. My grandson has been on 8 cruises, he started at age three. For his first cruise I purchased him a white suit and a black suit with shirt and ties, black dress shoes and suspenders. He was charming his first year. After that he always looked forward to dressing up in his suits for formal night like his dad, uncle and granddad.

Maybe not the sailor suit unless it didn't look too girly. Too bad there isn't a way to post pictures of the outfits. One of my friends had their son(just turned three) dressed up in a sailor suit for a party. I thought it was rather girly looking and had to make sure my face didn't let on. While I said nothing to him at the time, my husband also made a comment about his outfit and so did a few other people. Let's just say it became a topic of discussion. I am all for cute clothes for boys (I have two boys) but I think some outfits can be a little much. Perhaps the sailor suit that you have is cuter than the one that my friend had because that was tacky. Every sailor suit can look different.

I'm a HUGE fan of sailor outfits, so I put the sailor outfit...too cute! :)

Though it is adorable, it may be a bit cliche'. There are several stores that have adorable "little man" clothes. Both of my cousins just had baby boys and I have GONE WILD buying them "little men" outfits. If you dress him in a sailor suit for a cruise your only setting it up so that when he's six-teen he'll look back at the pictures of the cruise and say "MOM!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????"

How long is your cruise? Dress him up for the formal dinner in the sailor suit and on one of the other nights dress him in the knickers. Or visa versa. You might never get the opportunity to dress him that way again. Take advantage of while you can. Have fun on the cruise. We will be going on 4 day cruise in June with 11 other family members for a total of 15.

my first pick would be slacks dress shirt a tie or a suit but if i had to pick from the two above i would go with the sailor suit no knicker

I think they both sound adorable. He'll be cute as a button I'm sure. Have a great time:)Sue

We went on a cruise when my daughter was a little over one and we just dressed her in little dresses or pretty pant suits. I think any special occasion clothes you have or spring/summer dress outfits are fine. Usually the dinners are not that formal unless you go to one of the speciality restaurants on the ship. Have a great time.

Suntantrips.com

Who cares what anyone else thinks on how you dress your son--either outfit would be just fine!!! It's your family vacation and your memories to make so do whatever you'd like and enjoy it!!!!!

I love, love, love, sailor suits so I would put my child in that.

Hi T.,

I have been on 23 cruises and I love sailor suits for little kids. However, I must admit that I have never seen one on formal night. One of the other dinner nights may be more appropriate. If you are shopping for a suit for him, a traditional black may be more appropriate. Or, you could rent matching Tuxedo's for him and dad provided your budget for this trip will allow. Even Black slacks and a white shirt with a tie will be fine.

Best Regards & Bon Voyage...
Cruiser

No sailor sut! How about a pair of khakis and a button down shirt? Also, at JC Penny around the holidays you can find really cute formal outfits for about $30. They have dress pants, a button down shirt, vest and tie. My son looks just like his Daddy when he wears his! He loves looking like Daddy (and Daddy wouldn't wear a sailor suit, unless he was in the Navy!)

Hi T.~

I LOVE those ADORABLE old fashioned outfits! They are so CUTE!!! I have a 5 year old and 4 year old and those outfits, along with the saddle shoes and knee socks are about all they wore the first few years of their life. Then it was only for special occasions and such there after and now they are just too old and don't want to wear that kind of stuff. SO.... do it while you can. There will be a day when you can't dress them in whatever you want. Enjoy doing it now. And who cares what other people say or think. I had several friends and relatives laugh and be snotty about the outfits my boys wore - I stuffed it in their face by continuing to do it. Do what you want to - he is your child! I would love to let you see some pictures. If you would like to, you are more than welcome to e-mail and I will send you some.

Have FUN on your cruise and trust me you will get more compliments on how cute your son looks than you could ever imagine!!!

Do they still sell sailor suits? Haven't seen any in a very loooooong time. My son had one when he was a little boy (he's now 49, yes, 49!)had his picture taken in it and I passed it down to his son who also had his picture taken in it (more or less to satisfy grandma). They are adorable! Yes, by all means go the sailor suit route. Little boys look so cute in them.

Grandma of 9

I think either one would look adorable, but I love lil' guys in sailor suits. I don't think it is tacky at all! Honestly, there aren't very many dressy options for our little men. If you can find a cute sailor suit then I say go for it! When I used to live over in your area (years ago) I found a great jacket/dress shorts/bow tie deal at Laurie's and Timothy's - don't know if that store is still there but they had great "formal" wear for little ones.

Good luck and have tons of fun on your cruise!!!!

I think they both sound cute, but I would probably go with the knickers.

Have fun!

Cute! Do it while you can!!! My 4 year old only wants to wear sweats now.

I think it sounds cute and fun. It would be tacky if he were five, but a toddler is only cute. Look for high-quality materials so it will look good next to the formal clothing around him... but otherwise, don't listen to the critics and enjoy yourself your own way.

No sailor suit - he will look back at hte pictures and think he looked silly. A good way to look at is ask your 16 year old what they think - would they be embarassed.
Have a great cruise.

Hey T.,

If you wear the sailor suit...you might get a visit from the Captain or one of our US Soldiers on board...might make quite the story for your vacation along with pictures!! I vote for the Sailor Suit!! Every kid looks adorable in navy blue and white!