Safe Family Friendly Neighborhoods in Dallas TX

We may be moving to Dallas (from out of state) in January, we will find out last minute if we are moving, and have no idea what neighborhoods are safe, family friendly, and what schools or charter schools (elementary level) are really good there??? Any help would be great!! We are just looking to rent a home until we become more familiar with the area. I have done some rental searches and some zip codes I have found rental homes we are possibly liking are 75237, 75212, and 75235. Thanks!!! My husband would be working downtown Dallas on Main St. for a big corp.

update: Wow!! You are all so nice and helpful its great to know that the people in the area are so friendly and helpful! THanks!! So I am so torn I dont know where we will live. For now I am just going to wait till next week when we should hopefully know whether we are moving or not. I may ask more questions later. Thank you thank you I will let you know as soon as we find out for sure!!

If you are looking for really great schools I suggest Plano, Coppell, or Frisco although the cost of living is a little higher in these areas the schools are worth it.

Note: city, county and school boundary lines can be different from each other, they can divide a neighborhood on a borderline.

Lakewood is very nice w an excellent elementary. It's very close to downtown. Very active family area. Zip 75214. Also, Lake Highlands is a new growing, very nice community. Close to downtown also. Middle school & high school, I would go private.

I live in a wonderful suburb Northwest of Dallas called Flower Mound (zip code 75022). It is the LISD school district and has excellent schools. Anywhere you live in Flower Mound, you cannot go wrong with schools. They are all great. Wellington is a very nice area of Flower Mound (Wellington is a development), along with Bridlewood (Bridlewood is on a golf course - very nice). I live in a development called Stafford Estates, which is also nice. Bridlewood is the nicest, then Wellington. If you have mega mega bucks, you will want to live in the super rich part of Flower Mound, which is off of Wichita Rd. Flower Mound is a kid friendly town with festivals and a Christmas parade. Perfect place to raise a family. Southlake is also an excellent suburb with excellent suburbs - more expensive than Flower Mound (25 minutes from Flower Mound). Highland Village (13 minutes from Flower Mound) is also an excellent suburb w/ excellent schools. Good luck.

I think I live in the best neighborhood in Dallas. It's called Sparkman Club Estates and it's in the 75229 zipcode. The neighborhood is just a little over 50 years old and is truly unique. You have many 2nd generation families who have moved back to the neighborhood they grew up in to raise their own families. Lots of kids. Everyone knows their neighbors. We have a neighborhood club (membership optional not a HOA) with 3 pools, clubhouse, tennis courts and a park. Our elementary school, E.L. DeGolyer, is ranked Exemplary and we have very involved families. I would recommend checking it out. Good luck with your search and your move.

We moved here 10 years ago knowing absolutely nothing about Dallas. We chose Highland Park based on the schools and solid home values. We now have a freshman, 7th grader and 3rd grader who have gone through HPISD schools and we've been extremely pleased. The schools are better than most private schools with the benefits of public, like well developed extracurricular activites (music, theater, athletics, debate club, etc).
Right now, given lower prices, it would be a good time to get "in" so to speak. It's also very convenient to downtown.
Check out HPISD schools - you'll be pleasantly surprised!

When we were considering moving here we went to a site called good schools and used that. It was very helpful with not only statistics but parent reviews. We used it to narrow down our list then visited the three schools we had chosen and one definitely stood out. I grew up in Dallas and after 29 years of being gone I love being back in the metroplex. Welcome to Texas.

we absolutely love our neighborhood. great location, trees, active hoa, awesome schools, good quality one story home built in the 70s, good sized yard, friends close by, etc. my husband also works downtown and we decided to move a bit closer a few years ago because with rush hour traffic, his commute was about an hour each way. which really starts to add up when you have little ones. we lived in the panhandle of richardson, right by murphy and plano. there are plenty of beautiful, nice, big, more affordable new homes out that way and in several of the suburbs of dallas but the drive just wasn't worth it. still, more than 2 years later, my husband and i comment to each other about how much we love it here. we are barely outside the 635 loop but his drive can be as little as 20 minutes on a perfect day but averages closer to 30. our area code is 75248 and our kids will go to richardson schools. before becoming a mom, i was a teacher, so when we were looking to buy a different house, schools were a top priority. if you go to the richardson isd website and click on each individual elementary school, you can see the school's stats and get a small picture of what it is like (test scores, programs offered, educational rating, etc). another thing about looking at homes and considering the schools, double check that the schools listed on the sellers information is correct. sometimes it isn't and i've known people who have bought a house thinking that their kids would go to one school but they were actually zoned for another, even if the other one is technically closer. the richardson isd website has a feature where you enter in an address and the schools pop up and i always used that as a double check.
my neighbor is a real estate agent and is really familiar with this particular area if you are at all interested.
good luck!!! you are smart to be doing your research now and to plan on renting until you get a better feel for dallas!
also, send me a personal message if you have any other questions :)

1 / 3