Safe Dinnerware for Children

Does anyone have ideas about safe dinnerware/bowls/cups/sippy cups for children. I am concerned about using plastics now because of the leaching of chemicals and am looking for non-toxic alternatives that are non-breakable and dishwasher safe. Any ideas?

I used The First Years semi-disposable Take 'N Toss cups/bowls/etc. for my son because it said they were PVC/phthalate-free. Now that I'm buying new ones for my daughters, I noticed that the packaging no longer says that. Does anyone reading these responses know if the company was bought or changed the type of plastic it uses? The items seem the same, but I was just wondering...

Hi C. - you want to look for plasticware that says "BPA" free. Sassy has a line that is functional and cute. Also, Thermos has a brand of sippy cups that are safe and dishwasher safe. Sigg water bottles are a great alternative to plastics and are dishwasher safe as well. I am opening a boutique in Lincoln Square neighborhood April 22nd - it is called Little Green Baby and will carry all different organic, environment-friendly and green-minded products. Check out www.littlegreenbabychicago.com for updates.

what is your email?? i have an extensive list of BPA-free products.

Be By Baby in Roscoe Village, Chicago sells The Safe Sippy Cup there, about $15 and they have other great safe, non-toxic stuff there too. I know the sippy cup has a website, but if you google it, it should come up. I also use Born-Free sippy cups and can buy them on amazon. I use glass bowls to feed my baby and heat in the microwave.

I thought it was just clear plastics that we should be concerned about? Now it's all plastics? There are more toxins in the air we breath, I don't think dinnerware should be all that concerning.

My guy uses a set of Oneida that is kid size. He loves it and it fits his hands perfectly. We also serve him on the saucers from our dinnerware. I've heard that others use Corell because it is durable. Recycle #5 plastics are supposed to be safe as well.

Ana-K.com has a sippy cup that is great. I actually went to By By Baby and purchased the Safe Sippy and it is ridiculous how hard it is to get the liqud out! I could barely get it out when I tried. The Born Free leaks all over! I am soo happy with the Sippy cup I got from Ana-K.com. She has a bunch of safe stuff and lots of organic stuff. Also the service was GREAT. Hope that helps!

Just let your children use your dishes. Unless they are miniature crazy people who actually throw their dishes you should be fine. I have a 6 and 4 and they have been using the regular silverware and dishes for well over a year and also we bought smaller glasses for them to drink from, tho often when the small ones are dirty I give them regular size with a straw. When we were little no one had completely separate sets of tableware for us, we used what the rest of the family used! Have confidence in your children's abilities. And horray for you for recognizing the dangers in plastics with food!

1 / 3