Safe Cleaning Products for Toys?

What products out there are safe to use to clean baby toys? I don't know if I should use Lysol or Clorox wipes to clean my son's toys after use. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Wow! These are great tips you've given me. Thanks so much for all the advise and suggestions. I really appreicate it!

There is a spray called "chlorox anywhere" you can use and safe immediately for babies or food etc. Or, go green with Shaklee (at Shaklee.com)

hydogen peroxide will disinfect many things and is basically harmless.I just got an e-mail about all the different things it can disinfect, replacing bleach, and cleaners. I also use it as a mouthwash . Barring alergies, I think anyone, even children would be safer with this than with bleach and other strong cleaners.
Also I put everything from floor vents, toothbrushes, toys, bottle brushes, planters,caps, sponges, most anything , into the dishwasher on the sani cycle and have been for years.

When in doubt I use alcohol. It is sterile, safe and you can pick up a bottle in the pharmacy section.

There is a totally natural disinfectant, the first completely botanical disinfectant to be approved by the EPA for use in Daycares/ Hospitals/ Dentist Offices, etc., called "Soluguard". It's main disinfecting ingredient is Thymol (derived from Thyme), and is completely safe for use around children. It is non-poisonous, and it kills TB germs, Staph, athlete's foot fungus, and tons more. A friend of mine recommended it to me when I was on the search to get all bleach products out of my home (studies have shown that bleach contributes to the hardening of the arteries; it absorbs through your skin very easily, and doesn't completely rinse out of clothing in the wash!). If you'd like to ask her about Soluguard, you can e-mail her at ____@____.com

Hope that helps, I've really enjoyed using it for years now, and it smells really nice.

Hi A.. I use Shaklee cleaning products for pretty much everything. All their products are eco-friendly and non-poisonous. I have used the wipes on toys and also the Basic H cleaner. I got turned on to them by my brother-in-law. He is a firefighter with a specialty in hazardous waste. After his training, he got our whole family to get rid of most of the household cleaners we had. I have never sold the products but signed up as a distributor just to be able to buy the products myself. I would check out their website and see for yourself. Their products have gotten a lot of press lately and were recently featured on Oprah's Favorite products for the year. If you want to try anything, let me know.

Depending on where the toys have been and what you are looking to accomplish, you can just use soapy water. Many believe that keeping kids in an overly clean environment can lead to increased allergies. At the same time, if another kid just coughed all over or puked on your child's toy, I would personally want to disinfect them too! A disclaimer here -- I worked at Clorox, though left almost a decade ago. The disinfecting craze was going strong at the time. From the science I read while there, all disinfecting products, except pure bleach, leave a residue. The residue is not only something I would not want my kid around, but it potentially creates an environment for germs to mutate and adapt to these products, growing even stronger. Most scientists believe that overuse of antibiotics, not antibacterial cleaning products, is what is leading to the emergence of super bugs, but why leave a residue if you do not have to? Clorox sells products that leave a residue just like any others, but bleach (Clorox or not) does not leave a residue. A few cautions though: dilute the bleach according to the instructions on the bottle and wear gloves; test the product in a small area to make sure the color will not be affected; use in a well ventilated area; and, most importantly, do not use bleach where any other cleaning products have been used and do not use other cleaning products in the same area of your house for at least a couple of hours. Bleach and ammonia, if combined, create toxic fumes. Other cleaning products might contain ammonia, and you do not want to take a chance. Hope this helps.

I too was looking for cleaners that are better for my family and I recently found a wonderful company that you order from over the internet. They make products that are eco-friendly, safer for your family without using toxic chemicals and the products actually work great!! I don't want to seem like a 'sales person' in my response, so if this is something you think you'd be interested learning more about, let me know and we could talk. Good luck!!

You should check out the www.healthychild.org website. They have tons of advice on not toxic cleaning products for your home. I personally use vinegar and water for most of my cleaning and 7th Generation and Biokleen products in my home. There are lots of alternatives to toxic and unhealthy clorox and bleach products. Hope this helps!

Hi, A.! I would say use the hottest water from the faucet you have, or if the toy can stand up to it, boil them occasionally. Water is the safest, cheapest, and most natural. Also, if you think about it, the kids find a lot of stuff to chew on and eat (!) that we have not sanitized...so I would say water is good. Have a good day! J.

A Music Together teacher once said she used Listerine on all her instruments between toddler classes. It has an anticiptic, but is safe to put in your mouth right after use.

And if you use a washable, reusable cloth, you could be keeping all those extra "wipes" out of the landfill.

I thought it was brilliant!

-T.

1 / 3