Rving with a Toddler

This fall, my husband and I were thinking about renting an RV and going on a small (3-day) road trip.
One thing I can't seem to figure out is how we are supposed to restrain our daughter in her car seat.
There isn't a "backseat" to the RV, so where do I put her car seat?
Does anyone have any experience with this?

There are seatbelts on the main couch. We always hook carseats into those. The kids ride sideways, I suppose, but its the only place -- unless there are seatbelts at the table and you can take the table itself down and hook them into the table seats.

Depends on the configuration of your RV.

Call a place that rents RVs and ask where the car seat should go and if there is anything special you need to buy/bring etc. They probably can include the car seat with the rental (like rental cars do). Ask now so there will be no surprises!

If you look in the kitchen seating area or the couch, you should see lap belts underneath the cushions. Thats how we locked the carseat in. In the kitchen area was ideal, because she could color or look at bks. Hope this helps.
A.

I believe most RVs do have safety belts in the couches. I would bring up the concern to whatever RV rental place you are going to use. And most of the time there is a "captians chair" behind the passengers seat that does have a seatbelt. Good luck and have a great vacation :-)

Usually RVs have seatbelts in the seats in the back under the cushions.. I don't see how it doesn't have a backseat? Call and ask the place you plan on renting one at. They'll let you know..

My children and I travel a lot with my retired parents. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 17month old. We have been traveling for a year with them now. The safest place for the children are in their car seats in the booth area of a rv. Most rv's have a area under the seat where the seats can be hooked to the frame....like in your car. We have forward and rear faced, but never on a sofa. I do not feel the couch area is not for children, they should be facing forward or if less than 29 lb should be facing backwards. Hope this helps kl

From what I understadn....you DON'T need a carseat for someone traveling int he rear of the RV when the vehicle is in motion......however, I would choose an RV without an airbag and strap her seat in it :)

1 / 3