Rust Stain in Crystal Vase?

I have a clear Waterford crystal vase with a long narrow neck. Appears someone placed a coin inside ages ago and although the coin is now gone, there is a huge rust stain covering the whole bottom of the inside of the vase. I have tried vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda- together and in combo. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

THANK YOU! I am amazed by all of these wonderful suggestions! I tried Michelle B's rice solution first and WOW it worked in 15 seconds! Thank you!!!

There's a product called Bath Brite. It gets rid of rust on fiberglass showers. I've used it many times for other things too. I'd put it in full strength and let it sit for about 15 minutes and see if it gets it out. You can buy it at Walts food, or at MTS Supply in Schererville, ###-###-####, or I know Leep's supply carries it also. It's pink or clear and smells like wintergreen.

I got this answer from Ehow.com

Remove Stubborn Residue Inside the Vase
Step 1Put a handful of plain uncooked rice inside the vase.
Step 2Add enough vinegar to float the rice.
Step 3Move the vase around to swish the rice and vinegar around the inside of the vase.
Step 4Allow the rice and vinegar to sit in the vase for 15 minutes and swish again.
Step 5Pour out the rice and vinegar and rinse out the vase with warm, soapy water.
Step 6Place the vase upside down to dry on a soft, clean cloth.

S.:

Buy yourself a box of denture cleaner, the generic brand is just fine.

It will clean off the rust but all the mineral deposits from water and floral mixes.

Other uses for the denture cleaner is cleaning jewelry with gems. The denture cleaner gently cleans rings, etc. Just make sure you don't put dissimiliar metals in the same container when cleaning them.

Bernadette

How about trying efferdent denture cleaner. I use it to get the water rings and green out of vases. Maybe Coke with help. Coke is noted to clean rusted pipes.

Linda

Yes - the little denture cleaner tablets placed inside the vase with warm/hot water poured in should do the trick.

Bar Keeper's Friend. You can get it at any store. :)

Try denture cleaning tablets - put some warm water in the vase and add the denture cleaning tabs. They will bubble and take the stain away. If it works on dentures, it should work on crystal.

try soaking in jewelry cleaner or tarnish remover if necessary. Neither will harm the crystal. The worse thing you can do to harm crystal is to put it in a display cabinet. The more you handle crystal the more endurance you get. The oils from our hands (skin) toughens the crystal. So, don't just look at it, use it. If the cleaners don't work just put colored water in it with the arrangement. Glass stone also in bottom would be nice.

1 / 3