Runny Nose and Cough Related to Teething?

My one year old is getting molars. She also has a runny nose
and a cough. Does anyone know if the nasal drip and a persistant cough are a cause from teething? Or is she sick?
She has no other symptoms.
Will a humidifier help?

If the runny nose is clear, and there is no fever, I would say Teething. If the mucus thickens and changes to yellow or green, then it could be starting infections.
I would say she is coughing due to the drainage so watch her ears too...

Teething can cause a variety of outward sypmtoms. Runny nose, runny eyes, fever, diaper rash, crabbiness. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the teeth or something eles. I found that if it is teething, all these things stop when that cute little tooth pops through. Most doctors say teething doesn't cause these things but all three of mine had one or more of these symptoms. My Mom always told me that any doctor that says teething doesn't cause these hasn't had any kids! Just keep an eye on it, your gut will tell you.

It can be from teething yes. The drainage from the drool and sinuses causes the cough. My daughter always has a running nose when she teeths. If the drainage is clear and there is no fever...don't worry about it.

When my daughter was teething, she would get a terrible runny nose and diarrhea. The diarrhea would cause diaper rash and the runny nose would usually cause an ear infection. I did not enjoy the teething times at all........to say the least!!

Sure it can...but it could also be a cold...tis the season. One surefire way to know is to use the guide the docs use. If the runny nose is green, yellow, brown...infection, see the doc. If it's mostly clear and the cough doesn't sound really deep in her chest...no infection...ride it out if you can. (My opinion...I don't treat with Antibiotics unless necessary)

Blessings,

My response is ask your Dr that's why they are Dr's! However a babies tolerance is lower while teething this is what I was told by My Dr. They also because of teething put everything including hands that touch everything in their mouth so they do get sick.And as for symptoms leaving after tooth pops out was explained that a cold virus only last a couple days so it would subside during or shortly after tooth breaks the surface. Its most likely a cold. Im only putting this out there because twice now a friend has brought a cold to my house claiming was teething and 10-14 days later we were all sick from the snotty nose child that was teething. While I believe he was teething he was also sick and putting everything he could get his hands on in his mouth,my 2 yr old is not teething and is now sick and so am I as well as my 85 yr old mother.We after watching her child have the same symptoms she told me were from his teething. NONE OF US ARE CUTTING TEETH! This is the second time it has happened sooooo yeah Im going with what my Dr says. And folks when we loose baby teeth we dont go through this all over again what does that tell you by then we know how to keep our fingers out of our mouth and not chew on everything we see. While its tender we have no other symptoms ,LOL And after all the studies done no relation to cold symptoms and teething that's also good enough for me.

Every time my daughter cuts a tooth she gets a terrible runny nose. When she cut her first molar it was REALLY bad and she ended up with an ear infection from it.

Ear infections are very common when they are teething. Their ears are much lower on their head at this time then when they are older. Consequently the ear canal is level instead of at an incline. Tbe sinus cavities and eustachian tubes are right next to eachother, so when the sinuses are full... it puts pressure on the ears and moisture can get in there. Then it is just a short jump to bacteria growth.

One thing you can do to help avoid ear infections is help keep them open. Pull gentle up and out on the top of the ear. And from time to time run your index finger down the side of their neck, from the bottom of the ear down to the bottom of the throat. That will help move things out of the eustachian tubes. It isn't full proof... but will help.

My daughter is cutting another molar right now, and I have done these things daily... so far no ear infection. :-)

The cough is probably from the drainage from her nose.

Keep an eye out for any crying irratability when you tug on the ear, or if she doesn't want to lie flat. That is usually a sign of an ear infection. The nurse at the pedi office said they don't always run a fever with an ear infection. THat was the case with the first molar and first ear infection.

runny nose and cough came with my daugthers molars and even some of her regular teeth. She was also about 6 months behind in getting teeth then most kids.

1 / 3