Rsvps to Kids Birthday Party

I sent out invitations to my daughters birthday party the last day of school - June 18. The party is July 11. She has a small class- I invited them all - 11 total. I have only received one rsvp saying they would be on vacation. Should I send out reminder emails? I have their email addresses because the teacher sent out weekly class updates. My biggest fear is that no one will show up and then I also need to plan for food. it is at a miniature golf place. if no one shows, i guess it would have to be her brother and sister and me. If I had only gotten some rsvps, I would let it go. this also happened with my other daughters birthday in april. at least then I got about 10 rsvps but was missing about 12 - she had a bigger class. some were planning on coming but "forgot" and others were not able to come. Any suggestions??

Thank you for all the responses....I did not have the phone numbers so I sent a reminder email. My daughter is turning 9. I have heard from all but 2 which is close enough for me. We invited 11, and it looks like we will have either 5 or 7 coming. One thing that I think helps is that two parents were on vacation and with the email they can respond from their cell phone. If I had called and left a message they might not have gotten it until they came back.

Do you have a directory with the phone numbers? If so, I would call and ask if they can make it. If not then email. It is so frustrating. I had a halloween party last year and invited the entire class...2 came. Funny thing is those moms have become my great friends and I've noticed we are the same ones that show up to all invites. Luckily I had some other good friends and neighbors that came so we had a great party. So, this year for my daughter B-Day I only invited very close friends and the two moms that came to the halloween party. Everyone but two came (one was having her son's first b-day and the other had a sick child....although she failed to let me know she wasn't coming and I found out through face book).

Good luck! Definitely contact them somehow so you can plan everything.

You should definitely email. I really wish that all kids party invites were emailed instead of sent. If you do Evite they send reminders even-this makes it even easier for the recipient if they forget to respond to the email the first time around.

I am guiilty of the not RSVPing for a party my son was invited to-my son had told the birthday boy that he was coming and I thought that was going to be OK-They are 8 years old after all. (to be perfectly honest I don't know the people and didn't want to have to call and get in a chat with them so I was tabling it for a time I thought they wouldn't be home-I am a wuss-I know) Well, we showed up at the party place only to find out the party had been cancelled b/c nobody RSVPd. This would have been avoided if the invitations were sent via email. As bad as it is in this day and age people are more comfortable with electronic communication.

I've had this issue lately, and it seems to me that people have forgotten the common courtesy of responding - either yes or no - to event invitations. I've found that using Evite is helpful because I can see if people have even viewed the Evite (if you used paper invites perhaps they never made it into the hands of parents), and it seems people are more likely to respond when it's as simple as clicking a button rather than calling or emailing. Also, Evite sends a reminder a day or two before the event. I would suggest doing just what you mention - emailing all of the parents a friendly party "reminder" and letting them know that you need an attendee count to plan for food and activities. You could appeal to their sense of guilt by saying something like, "I know these summer months are busy, but I would truly appreciate your prompt response." Good luck and happy celebrating!

I have personally found parents of school mates to be flakier in RSVPing than personal friends. I would email then a reminder, saying that you need to know an accurate count for food, etc. Good luck!

Definitely email!! We have switched to email invitations anyway, even though I've always loved regular mail. Mail gets lost so quickly in my home, some of those moms might have lost the RSVP and now feel awful that they haven't gotten back to you. If they don't feel awful, they are at least more likely to reply to an email anyway. You get the mail, try to remember to check your calendar, misplace the invitation, get distracted, and then nothing happens.

I don't understand the inconsiderate nature of some people...ideally they should all RSVP, but in the event they don't, I'd send out a reminder e-mail. I'd appreciate being reminded during these busy summer days and I'm sure they will too. I would also invite a couple of neighbor kids, cousins or other close friends in case some of the classroom kids don't show up. This is such a special day for your daughter and you want to make sure that others will be there to celebrate with her! Have fun!

Manners have gone out the window as far as RSVP's and Thank you notes. I am appalled at how so many people lack this common courtesy. It only takes a small amount of time to be considerate to someone who has invited you to a party and to send a little note saying thank you.

We throw parties, big expensive ones. I always say Please RSVP by (insert date). You have to lock in your number at a lot of places for your party and that can run $10-$25 per person. Before my lock in date, I call and/or email those I have not heard from.

Sometimes people are embarrassed because I call and ask "I need to lock in my number and I just wondered if (insert name) is planning to attend."

You'll have people who RSVP "yes" and not show up and you'll have some just show up.

I hope your daughter has a good party.

People are rude...but that's the reality we all live with. Just yesterday....my 11 year old made phone calls to the friends who didn't respond to her party invitations. You didn't say how old your daughter is...maybe she wants to make the calls? And Megan is right...it should be calls not e-mails.

What date did you say to RSVP by? If the date is approaching or has passed, definitely send the reminder email. Let them know you are preparing the final guest count and want to make sure their child is included if he/she plans on attending.

The end of school is a super busy time, so it wouldn't surprise me that the invitation just got lost in the shuffle of all of the end of school year papers and activities.

1 / 3