Roughly How Much Do You Spend on Each Kid at Christmas Time??

Just wondering what others do for Christmas when they have more than one kid?? I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old and the 7 year old is now getting into more expensive stuff we have a wii and he has a Nintendo DS the 3 year old really doesn't care still but her birthday is 3 days after Christmas and we do keep it seperate so what would be a good amount to spend on each kid or what do you do buy one big gift for the both then some smaller ones for each kid? Thanks

Wow what great advise and ideas!!My husband and I spoiled our son for those first 3 years when we didn't have our daughter so yes I do feel like I have to live up to those days but last year was great they each got the same amount and this year we are on the Dave Ramsey plan so we are on a tight budget but I am saving each week.Plus last year I did tell my son that Santa was helping out other kids more this year that needed it and didn't usually get anything and he looked at me with those sad eyes and said some kids don't get anything so we had a great talk out of that! My husband and I sat down last night and talked about Christmas and how much we were spending on each kid and my daughters birthday which is only 3 days later.

I also have 2 children, ages 5 and 2. I like to buy one main gift for each of them (priced between $50-$100), then a few smaller gifts like a Barbie, books, doll, etc. It's hard to not go overboard, but like other people have said, they get overwhelmed after opening a few things. My goal this year is to try to keep it simple, and also to teach them about giving to those who are less fortunate.

I would just keep it even. Do what you can afford. Do not put things on credit pay cash. Each year can be a different amount, as long as it is even.

I buy things all year, so it's hard to come up with a number, but I shop sales and clearances, so I would guess it's 50 or less. We try to get one thing she would really want (last year it was a little farm playset) and then things like coloring books and regular books. Of course, she's only 3, but she gets so much from everyone else, it's hard to want to spend alot, but we want Santa to give her something special every year.

We spend nothing on Christmas or birthdays! Our kids get so much stuff in the mail from relatives, it's already way too much stuff! They get bored opening half way through, or they just want to open stuff and don't focus at all on what's in the presents. I've been known to stagger them one or two per day and then a couple on Christmas, so they don't get in the habit of the "Christmas mountain of presents". When they get a bit older and into bigger stuff, we may do one nice thing (but not too outrageous since they should earn big ticket stuff) for each and a couple of smaller ones if the deluge from the mail has stopped by then. Averages say, kids only care about the first 3-5 things they open. After that is excess and the fun is lost, so no point overdoing it. Also, dollar value is totally lost on kids. They will enjoy a thoughtful cheap gift you will play with them as much as an expensive one.
My 4 year old daughter's absolute FAVORITE thing she got last year was a cosmetic box from Target I got for $2.99 where she now keeps her barbie clothes, or finger puppets, or tea cups, or whatever she likes best at the moment. She plays with that box every day, and makes sure it's right on her dresser by her bed every night. She pointed it out one day when I was buying mascara, and when she got it for her birthday she was thrilled to recognize it. Save your money!

i see people writing that they hardly give anything because other family members give so much. i have a 7 year old and a 5 yearold boy and girl. I hate that grandparents go so over board, at least $500 per kid, some includes new sheets and clothes and things but a ton of "special" toys too. It makes me mad because i want to be giving the big stuff, but that is how my husbands family has always been, grrrrr.
to answer your question though, I can't think of a group gift that would be appropriate for both a 7 yo and a 3yo. so i would probably do separate, and maybe a little less on the younger one since they don't care as much and because bday presents are coming soon.
we personally budget $300 per kid, which i think is too much, but it looks so small compared to grandma's gifts. so that's my stinky situation.

You are in the sam eboat as myself. I have a 3 year old whose bday is Dec 17th. I use to spend about $200-$250 and then split the gifts up for each day. We are expecting baby #2 on Christams day so this will be decreasing and I think we are going to do $50-75 fro bday and $100-$150 for Christmas. ( I also have hubby's bday Dec 27th hehe). I shop all year so I usually buy all the stuff on sale and then go through what I have in Oct or Nov. then its not such a blow to the wallet adn I have stuff that I didnt give her last year so she can get this year. As far as big gifts like the DS, if it is a big pinch to your pocket ask family members to go in together to get. I purchase a big gift for Christmas (about $50-$100) and then a bunch of smaller ones. I will be feeling your pocket pain this holiday season :) Good luck

We have Christmas, then 2 weeks later we have our twins' birthday and then 2 weeks after that we have our older one's birthday. Each child gets 3 actual gifts, with atleast one item for each child being hand-crafted by me, and then they each get a game or one large gift for all 3 to share and then 2-3 stocking stuffers each. We try to remind our girls the true meaning behind the gifts they get on Christmas morning and each gift is chosen out of love and not just because it's something that happens to be "in" during that time. I keep in mind that they still have grandparents & aunts/uncles who also still gift items to our girls as well. Price should be based solely on your income and what you feel comfortable spending. Personally, we spend no more than $150 on each child, simply for the fact that we refuse to go in debt over gift-giving.

What one family considers normal another family might consider extravagant. It just depends on your income and expenses and what you can afford. If I said I spent $1000 a child (I have two kids) I would get gasps from mothers on here who would think that was excessive. However, they have no idea what my income is. (I don't spend that on my kids, but I'm saying that I wouldn't give you a dollar amount because it doesn't take into account income and other things.) I think you should just keep it even and get them a few nice things and try not to overdo it. Christmas shouldn't be about getting lots of gifts.

Kids do not know or care about the "amount" only about "what they are getting".

1 / 3