Ringworm - Calera,AL

Hello,
My 6 year old son has had ringworm of the head several times. It started when he was 2 years old, and I'm sure it was from using clippers at the barbershop. Well, the 3rd time he caught it, my husband and I decided we would buy our own clippers and he would start cutting his hair. We've thrown everything aways that came in contact when he ringworms, and either sprayed or bleached everything else. I cannot understand why he keeps getting ringworms. His pediatrician keeps prescribing him diflucan (griseofulvin doesn't work). Should I try a dermatologist? I have to yet get another prescription filled for his medication, and it is really bugging me as to why he keeps getting it. I also put blue star ointment as well as an antifungal cream on the spots in his head in addition to the oral meds, and I wash his head in selson blue. If you have any other suggestions/remedies you use for scalp ringworm, please let me know. By the way, I do not have any pets (except for Fish and a frog). Thanks!!

Thanks for all of the responses. It seems to be under control for now, but yes, I'm sure it's ringworm because my youngest son contracted it not long after my oldest did. To clarify the clippers situation with the ringworm, if the barber isn't sterilizing the clippers after each use, it is highly likely to contract ringworm especially if scales from the ringworm are left in the clippers, but we cut our son's hair at home. So far everything is fine and it has cleared up, and we do have a topical steroid to prevent balding. Thanks so for everyone's response!!!

Yes, please go to a dermatologist. I had a similar problem with my youngest daughter when she was about a month old, her regular Dr. thought it was cradle cap and advised that I put a little baby oil on it - which made it worse. It was a form of ringworms. The dermatologist prescribed a shampoo, medicine and advised against putting any oil on her hair - oil helps it to spread faster and the hair falls out. I had to shampoo her hair every and keep everything clean that I used for her. Don't use what you use for him and don't use what he uses for you. I had to have separate everything for my older daughter. I hope everything works out and this helps.

My son, too, had ringworms at an early age. He got it from a cousin that visited. When the cousin left, the ringworm stayed. I too, had problems with the doctor prescribing ointments and medications that did not work. I tried two things. Selson Blue- medicated, and Blue Star Ointment. I am a full time mom and I have a full time job but, and I washed my sons hair once in the morning, and once at night, and applied the ointment afer. I used white pillow cases, and bleached them daily. And it worked. The rigworm was gone within a week of me being consistent. I really works!!!! I hope this helps!!!!!

Ringworms come from the dirt. Anyone can get them. The best things to use on them is the old fashion Iodine you can get it at Wal Marts. Start with a wide circle around the outside of the worm (do it fast or they will move areas) then fill the circle in with the Iodine. It will start drying up within a day or two. There is no way to stop them from getting more except to keep them out of all dirt. And that can be hard to do for all little boys love to play in the dirt. LoL.
I hope this will be of some help to you.

Ringworm could also be caused by a yeast infection. If he's also been on antibiotics, his immune system is probably down. Stress reduction and a candida diet will be very helpful in eliminating this condition. NO sugar or sugary foods, including sweet fruits, foods with vinegar or yeast, fermented foods or mushrooms, can be eaten. A diet rich in fresh vegetables and lean meats, simply prepared, will not only reduce the yeast population but also build the immune system.

I would also recommend very good daily vitamins (NOT Flintstones)- http://www.shaklee.net/thewrightplace/product/20007, an Immune System builder - http://www.shaklee.net/thewrightplace/product/20639, as well as a probiotic - http://www.shaklee.net/thewrightplace/product/20241 - to put the good bacteria back into his system - that any antibiotics may have killed).

I hope I've been able to help. Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions at ____@____.com

V.

I am currently going through this exact same thing w/ my 11 month old. We have been fighting ringworm of her scalp for the past 3 months. We did all of the things you are doing also. Her pediatrician finally sent us to a dermatologist. I've waited 2 months since I made the appt and her appt is this Friday. I am so ready to get this over with. I suggest a dermatologist, ask your pediatrician to reccomend one for you. Good Luck!

My son got one on his head once. I cut my boys hair too. I shaved it really close on and around the ringworm. Then I took a warm washcloth and rubbed it vigorously it hurt a little but it opened all the pours of the ringworm. Then I put jock itch cream on it. I did this everyday twice a day until it was completely gone. It has never came back. I only shaved it when the hair got long around it. I was told if I could get the pours open it would heal faster and stay gone. That is the reason for the washcloth and making the pours open up.
I hope this helps.
S. Jane

Do you have cats? Cats carry ringworm. Is he playing with cats at the sitters?

Also, Nizoral shampoo is a medicated shampoo that can help control "ringworm". The problem may actually not be ringworm but a fungus that is related to ringworm. Its treated the same way and is in the same family of skin problems so its ok to refer to it as ring worm.

I have the condition and its something that some people are just more suseptable to.

Stress, heat and food allergies can make him more prone to get the condition. Use the nizoral every day until the condition is visually absent then twice a week to help keep it under control. Also, on days you don't use nizoral use head and shoulders original formula.

And by all means get him off the interal chemicals. They are hurting his organs and making him more suseptable to getting the condition and keeping the condition. I do not know why this is tru but it is.

You may need to see a nutritionist and allergist to find out what he's allergic too.

Get some honey from the local area and have him take a spoon of it every day.

Realy there are only three or four changes here, use nizoral, use head and shoulders, use honey, don't use pills.

I'd suggest using a tincture of propolis and alcohol on the affected areas but its a pain in the butt to get ahold of.

Good luck to you!
R.

Embarassingly enough, I have suffered from ringworm my whole life. Of course trying to explain to people that is is actually not a worm is a drag. I have always used tinactin cream, it also comes in a spray. Works like a charm. Always use a clean towel after bathing him if he is having a break out, which is kind of a drag having to wash all the extra towels and maybe try some tea tree oil applied directly to the rash. About the time I got into high school the symptoms dramatically reduced and now only every now and again I might get an isolated spot on my arm or stomach. Stress seems to be a factor and if you have any pets they maybe giving it to your son. Any spots on your pet will show up with a black light. It was really embarasssing for me as a child. I would try to minimize the condition so your son feels less self conscious about it.

The fact that you do not have pets has nothing to do with it...Ringworm, or Tinea is a common contagious fungal infection that can affect the scalp, body, feet or nails. Ring worm is caused by fungal dermatophytes and has nothing to do with worms. If you had pets it would be a good idea to treat them because ringworm is contagious and if they had it they would just pass it back to your child. You can protect yourself and those around you by disinfecting your home and work areas and washing your hands regularly.

As for a cure...

My mom used to use a green walnut to get rid of ringworm when my older sister got it. Pick an unripe green walnut from a tree and crack it open. Inside the shell will be a layer of black paste or oil. Apply the black paste to the affected area several times a day and watch your ringworm disappear.

My daughter, which is 6 yrs old, is going through a ringworm nightmare. Hers is right in the top-center part of her head. She has long thick hair and the spot is humungous. She will lose that hair but we're praying it will grow back. One spot is slick though and it doesn't look like it will. Anyways.... She went to our PCP a couple of times and he kept prescribing things until "I ASKED HIM" to refer us to a dermatologist. She went a couple of weeks ago and it's clearing up really well, although the hair is coming out. He prescribed her an oral fungus medicine and a shampoo called T/Sal. HE also gave her an oral steroid to keep her from having permanent scarring (bald spots) from the hair loss. I would definitely suggest a dermatologist, especially with them reoccurring the way they are. God bless~

1 / 3