Ringworm

Does anyone out there have any good ideas on how to get rid of ringworm? My 2 year old son has had it in his diaper area for months and months. The only thing my pediatrician told me to do was put Lotrimin on it. That doesn't help and it gets bigger and worse day by day. I feel bad b/c it hurts him too, since it is raw. Please help. Thanks.

WOW! I got great responses, thank you. Although, it ends up I was trying to cure the WRONG thing. My son did not have ringworm after all... after another trip to the doctor we discovered he had contact dermatitis. In a nutshell, he is 'allergic' to his pull ups. So the cure is no more pull ups and we are potty training cold turkey. It has been about a week now, the rash is healing, and my son is doing pretty well potty training. Thanks again for all the advice!

A word of advise from someone that went through more antifungals and prescriptions than I care to admit with my oldest. DO NOT PUT CORNSTARCH ON IT. that feeds the fungus, just use Lamisil and plain baby powder. If you don't see results in a few days definately go to dr and make a fuss until they give a script or refer you to a dermatologust.

Have you tried any of the other OTC antifungal ointments? With my kids the generics worked better than the brand names did. Also try putting on some hydrocortisone along with it to help with the itching. It has worked for me in the past.

Find a new pediatrician!!! You should have been given a medicine for that! Oh and try Blue Star ointment. But read the warnings. I don't know if you'd be able to use it on the diaper area. Good luck and keep us updated.

V.,

Ringworm is just a fungus. It's easy to treat with over the counter products... It's just finding the right one. Try each of the Athletes foot or Jock itch medications until you find one that helps. Usually, you can see a difference in color and irritation within two applications. They have different active ingredients....read your labels. Keep your little guy as dry as possible, and if you can, put pad under him (diaperless)during naps so he can "Air out"...Ring worm can get nasty and run in to other problems like staph and impetigo. Stay on top of it.

T. Cobbs

Ring worm is not a worm; it is a fungus. It is not only local, it can become systemic. OLast summer our son had it for about 3 months till it cleared up. It would appear im various places for a couple of days, go away... and appear in several other places !

We applied Neem Oil, a natural, non-evasive, natural oil from Africa. If you can't find it, let me know.
There is a world-known researcher in Austin whom I met and he strongly advised this. It is even effective against malaria !

I can send you a link with more info, but in a hurry now. Google ring worm or fungal infections. Natural remedies are sometimes more effective; we want to use as little drugs as possible (especially for children). Native Americans used Black Walnut bark for ring worm.

More later.... Blessings to your family !

M. D.

If you put clear nail polish on it it will be gone in a few days.. it suffocates the ringworm.

I work for a vet and we are always getting ringworm. We use anti-fungal cream for foot fungus - dried up in 3-4 days. You can also like someone else said get oral medications - or vet had to use that!

A nurse practitioner I work with always tells patients to use the head and shoulders that comes in the dark blue bottle (for sebhorric dermatitis). Use it when bathing you baby.

Try one of the more powerful creams for athletes feet on the rind worm. I have had this same problem with a few of my kids. A ring worm is a bacterial infection just like athletes feet so you use the same thing to treat both of them.
I have 5 kids and I had the same battle for years.

Hi V.,

Ringworm is a fungus and if you use an anti fungal cream like those recommended for athletes foot or jock itch you should have great results. You can also combine that with an anti itch cream to stop any itching you might have. Hope this helps.

Iodine works every time. My mom used it on my ringworms as a child and I use it on my children. One of my twins is more suseptible to them then my other two boys. The Lotrimin did nothing for us either. There is clear iodine, but the old fashion red tinted stuff seems to do the best job. It will burn on those that are raw, but if you blow on it then it helps the stinging pass faster. It's worth the screaming to see the ringworms disappear within a week, two max.

Best wishes with ridding the nasty ringworms.

~S.

1 / 3