Right Age to Let Child Start Using a Knife??

Alright I have a silly question that my husband and I were talking about. What age did you mothers allow your children to start using a knife at the dinner table to cut their food with?

Thank you everyone for your comments. My daughter is four and very gentle and mature for her age. I think she would be ready whenever we are. We also eat meals together as a family with the tv off :). I found a toddler siverware set at the store with a very dull knife that I think I will buy for her to start out with. I just can't believe how old my baby is getting. Lol! Thanks again!

My son is 7 and actually just started using one. I feel like I was a little delayed on letting him try it because once I told him to try, he seemed extremely frustrated but he picked up on it very quickly.

I've put one out for him for about a year or two but only now (at age 7) is he really using a butter knife.

Both of my kids (5 and 2.5) get a knife at their place setting, but it's a butter knife, not sharp at all. I started giving them the knife when I realized that they could do way more damage to themselves with the fork, and I was encouraging them to eat with that! My 5 year old can now cut up a lot of her softer food and spread butter, and my 2.5 year old basically ignores the knife (sadly, he ignores the fork a lot of the time too).

At age 6.5 we gave her a butter knife and taught her how to use it. Now she's almost 9 and she is allowed to use a butter knife by herself and a steak knife only if she's concentrating (not watching TV) and we're closely supervising how she's holding it.

depending on the child - e.g. there attention, motor skills, etc. typically around 7-8 years old

When they get embarrassed about having mommy or daddy cutting up their food. For my son it was around 8 or 9 (then again, he had some fine motor skills, so there was THAT issue as well). My daughters have been using dinner knives for a couple of years. They're 7 and 9. I really think it depends on the child.

Our kids are 7 and 5. We bought the Spreader knives from Pampered Chef. Our kids know these as "safety knives" and it's what they use when they need to use a knife. The 7 yr old is now using a butter knife, and occasionally a sharper knife under my supervision.

We often "practice" our cutting skills, when they help me prep dinner. I let one pick a veggie, like a red pepper or mushrooms, that's soft, to slice up for me for our salad or fajitas.

Growing up we got knives as soon as we got to the US (in Japan it's considered rude to have to cut up a carcass in view of people who are eating).

Myself... I'm more cautious. Kiddo has been using chefs knives to help prep (with adult supervision) since he was 4... but since dinner I pay less attention... so at almost 8... he still uses a butter knife.

5 or 6 and i start with butter knife my daughter is 9 and just started using a steak knife but shes been using a butter knife since 6 my son has since 5 my 5 year old sometimes but mostly not yet but thats because shes a little behind. I think it has alot to do with there intellagents and if they can handle the warnings and dos and donts. You also need to let them know there sharp and the rules. Even if its a butter knife its sharp.

1 / 3