Rice Cereal or Oatmeal???

My 5 month old is becoming very curious about food. I think she's ready to for her first solids!! Our pedi recommended rice cereal but I heard others say their pedi recommended oatmeal first. Does it matter? Also, I would like to buy organic...what is the best brand? Thank you!!

Rice, oatmeal, and barley are all acceptable first cereals at this age, and It doesn't matter what order you introduce them as long as they are heavily diluted with breastmilk/formula and you wait 3-7 days in between introducing new foods (the days vary depending on who you talk to and personal experiences with food allergies).

At this young of an age you should only do rice cereal. It is very easy for their tummy to digest, oatmeal is harder and won't set as well. But she is still very young and I would wait at least one more month.

I don't think it matters. My boys didn't like either one at all, so I didn't get to try different brands. She just might be ready to try the baby food purees. Start with veggies and cereals first, then move to fruits and desserts. :-) I say that because our pedi says that if you start them with the veggies first, then they will eat those better. If you start with the fruits and desserts, then all they'll want is the sweet stuff. But who can blame them? LOL

My first loved everything we gave him but rice was a little constipating so we switched to oatmeal right away. My second, well we tried oatmeal after 3 weeks of rice because that was what we had in the house, but she had a really rough weekend with tummy troubles that I can only attribute to the oatmeal since nothing else changed.

We started both my kids at 4 months- as per our pedi and waiting for veggies with my first one until almost 6 months. I did mix some banana into his cereal around 5 months, but nothing else really until 6.

I know that some say to not introduce fruits first etc- but with my first we didn't have any problems because he wasn't picky and just ate everything!

Good luck! Don't know about the brands though- our grocery store only had one type of organic and I can't remember the name of it!

I'd wait another month or two so her GI system matures and closes. If she's formula fed tho, it won't matter because foreign bacteria and proteins have already been introduced via the formula.

In either case... rice cereal will constipate, oatmeal is better.

I started with Earth's Best (organic) rice.

I would wait until six months. I was a professional nanny for twenty years and some of my families had doctors that were rated the best in the country and they all said six months and starting with fruit is better because it easier to digest. If you want to start now, I would put some formula or breast milk in a bowl and feed her with a spoon. Plus, it will help her get ready for food on a spoon and it won't be so foreign to her. I would organic and I would start with Oatmeal. Earth's Best is great and if you can't find that the next best is Beech-Nut. Just check the label and make sure there is nothing added in the baby food.

Not sure it matters, but with my youngest we had to use the oatmeal b/c he had horrible constipation issues and our ped said to go with the oatmeal b/c it was higher in fiber.

rice cereal is supposed to be easy to digest. Oatmeal should be the same. Then you can start mixing the veggies and fruits with the cereal to slowly introduce new foods. We did this with our first and plan on doing the same with the second.

I used oatmeal, never used the rice because it can constipate the little one. I never had a problem. The oatmeal is sweeter naturally.

Updated

1 / 3