Returing Items to IKEA Without a Receipt

I purchased a sink, faucet and a mirror last year or early this year. When we finally went to install the sink and faucet we realized it was a lot different that the plumbing we already had and decided not to use the IKEA sink and faucet. Somehow I managed to misplace the receipt and have never found it. IKEA's policy for returns is you must have a receipt. I wondered if anyone knew of a way around that.

We recently returned 2 small items to IKEA without a receipt, and were given a store credit. They said it had to be merchandise they currently still have in stock so they can resell it. You may have a harder time if the item is opened. Ours were still in original packaging. Good luck! You can always try selling on Craigslist.

If you used a credit card, have your credit company research it for you and send you a copy of the signed receipt.

Hi K.:

Please, Please let me know if you get the response you need! I, too, have a large purchase (a $600 mattress) that I cannot find the receipt to. I save all my receipts - I can't believe I can't find this one! I have torn my house up looking for it!

I've only had the mattress a couple months and my back feels torqued every morning. Ug.

I'm with Melanie on this one.....it might be a big job for you but you might make it work.

I am not an Ikea shopper so I don't know about the policies.

I do frequent the same stores and management knows me or my face pretty well. That helps a lot when management knows you spend money routinely at that store. I go to Home Depot, Target, Tom Thumb, Market Street and Costco. I am recognized there as a frequent shopper. Sometimes that loyalty pays off.

A lot of receipts "expire" for return dates. Some are only good up to 90 day return then nothing.

I would certainly back track and find the transaction with your bank to show them. If you used a credit card, you might be able to get a transaction number. I

I use the credit card system with our business to generate receipts and to "back up" receipts because it has the transaction number, date, amount and place of business. Most online credit card companies let you back track about 6 months.

I'm a receipt keeper and have a file just for receipts. Mine is highly organized but you could be as simple as putting receipts like this in a shoebox.

I don't know of a way around it, however, if you are willing to do some looking at old bank statements for when you purchased it, maybe then you could ask IKEA, if you have the date the item was purchased, if they could look up your old receipt. You'll have to have the amount too, not of the item, but the total receipt. If someone would be willing to look it up at IKEA then maybe they could print off a copy of the receipt and you could exchange it. I know I had to do that, not with IKEA, but for my payflex account at work. I had to show the actual receipt to my payflex company, and I couldn't find it. I found the day and amount I paid, went into Walmart, asked them if I could have a copy of my original receipt, they found it, and printed it out. It's worth a shot...

1 / 3