Restless Legs and Body at night...can't Sleep. Is There a Remedy?

Hi Parents!
For the past five nights, my body and legs have been restless to the point where I'm tossing and turning and can't get relaxed enough to fall asleep. I'm 23 wks pregnant too and exhausted. Benadryl doesn't help. Is there something that I can do that will help? My hubby massages me, but that doesn't seem to do the trick either. Not in the last five nights that is.
Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I had a much better sleep last night! Thanks to you all for such wonderful advice! :-) To those of you who don't know, Benadryl is safe during pregnancy. I got permission to use this when needed at night from my OB/GYN, and confirmation that it is safe from a few Pharmacists. It is a class 2 med, which means that it is safe during pregnancy. :-) Just thought I'd let ya'll know.
Stretching last night really helped me a lot. I haven't done a lot of exercise since being pregnant, and I know I need to get busy on that part. LOL
Thanks again to everyone here! Have a great week!

PS: I'm not an 'every day user' of the benadryl. I only take it if I feel I need it, and that's may be once or twice in a month period. :-)

Try putting a pillow between legs and elevate the legs by putting another pillow under both legs. Try heating packs on legs. I have not had this condition, but those are the things that come to mind. Naybe a weekly massage with a professional?

HI there,
I like so many others have restless leg syndrome too and all the suggestions made here really help. Here is another one. I have found great success by drinking a small glass of green juice. The stretching, the walking, the calcium and magnesium really help and I was told that part of the problem is lack of green veggies. I'm not a huge veggie fan so I drink Very Green Juice Blend from Trader Joe's. Whole Foods has a version too. It tastes like apple juice and as long as I drink it every night with everything else I'm doing the symptoms seem to diminish a lot.

I had restless leg with both my pregnancies and the only thing that worked was calcium and magnesium. The liquid kind. I would take just a little more than what the reccomended amount would say on the bottle and that would get me through the night. There were on some occations that I would have to get up in the middle of the night and take a second dose though. I would just take it about a 1/2 hour before you go to bed at night. This really was the only thing that helped me. And of course right after I had the baby my restless leg went away. Good luck

Benadryl would not help at all. Should you be taking that since you are preg.??? Could be the pressure of the baby, but if you can ask the Dr. if you can take over the counter magnesium 200mg in capaules & potassium. This in addition to you're Calcium you should already be taken. I've had this problem on & off, this is the only thing that has helped me. Sometimes you are just missing those minerals in your body. Also try putting a pillow in between your legs, can make it a little more comfortable. I pray that works for you...

I have had this on a few occasions and it occured at least twice with each pregnancy. I was going to suggest the same thing that Pat did. Stretching helps a lot and a warm compress on my lower back helped as well. I can't remember if you are allowed to put a warm compress on your back during pregnancy, so check with your doctor first. I just know that the heating pad worked wonders the last time I had this problem. Congratulations on your pregnancy:)

No benadryl, that would not help restless legs.... it might make you drowsy and that's not good considering you are prego. I have read the other womens' responses and they all gave you great advice, same thing I would have said so need to repeat it.

I hope you feel better soon! :)

I can relate. I have had this off and on for about 3 years. What I have done is go to a homeopathist for help. The Southwest School of naturopathy is is right here in Scottsdale and is pretty inexpensive because it is a school. They were able to help me with a lot of things, including restless legs, but the legs haven't completely gone away. I was treated with Ignacia, which can be found at Whole Foods but very person is different. I like the idea of natural healing, especially if you are pregnant. Good Luck, I am interested in what the others have to say.

Your pregnancy could be cutting off circulation to your legs during the day, then they dance at night because of the sudden circulation. I think that they make some kind of lifting "girdle" to help take the pressure off during the day? And, if you massage your legs, do it like they do when you get a pedicure. GOod luck!

Hi G....BANANA'S for their potasium. If you have it really bad, try Magnesium oxate (something like that). That's what my mom takes and it works wonders for her. Good luck to you!!!!

1 / 3