Requesting a Teacher for Kindergarten

Next year, my daughter will be in public kindergarten. We have toured the school many times and have met several of the teachers. A couple teachers I really like, others-not so much. Is there any way to request a teacher? I'm new to this public school stuff and would like for it to be the best experience possible :-)

Well, too bad. One mom below mentioned that Denton Isd has a non-request policy. I personally don't see anything wrong with parents requesting certain teachers. A teacher that is requested a lot would mean that she is a good teacher. One that isn't requested means she probably isn't good. There is a huge shortage of teaching positions right now, so with the small amount of teachers left teaching, it would be great if the good ones were the ones teaching.

I will not step back from my child's education. Education is very important to me and I will be there every step of the way to make sure she gets the best education possible. I can't afford the wonderful schools my parents sent me to, so I am doing the best I can to get my daughter a good education in other ways.

No.

If they let you do that, then they have to let ALL the other parents do that too.
MOST schools, do not allow that, for that reason.
I have tried at my daughter's school... contacting and writing the Principal myself. But they don't allow it.

But ultimately, you just go with the flow.
It is also good for the child, to learn this.

My daughter goes to public school. A blue ribbon public school. All the Teachers are good. Different personalities and styles, but mostly all good.

You just gotta have faith, in the Teacher.
And, keep a rapport with her/him.

all the best,
Susan

Let me tell you what happened to us.

I met a "wonderful" teacher while my oldest was a preschooler. I requested her and he was put in her class. She even had awards and accolades for being so good. I was elated.
Come to find out she had a K-1 program. She tried to teach the children Japanese and all about the Japanese society, in kindergarten.
Her teaching style was very Montesorian, not bad for some kids. Just not mine.
MIne was not taught the basics of HOW to read, just what the words said. She didnt; believe in Phonics. I found out in the middle of the year. She had no real discipline for difficult students, She thought counting in Japanese was more beneficial than counting in English and she missed some very key days, Valentine's Day being one, for some award in DC.
She scoffed at parents who were "difficult", that woud be me, because I wanted to see academic porogress and there seemed to be none.
She was not Japanese, she was awarded a grant for this program which in the end, after 5 years, was deemed a failure.

THE teacher that all the parents were scared of and warned me against had every one of her students reading at a 2nd grade level in Kinder. She had them all hitting their benchmarks and higher. She was a strict disciplinarian. Her children were organized and well behaved, as organized and well behaved as a 5 yo can be, much more so than our class. At the beginning of the year I was so happy to not get the "schoolmarm" and get the Japan class. What a mistake.

Since that time I have not requested any teachers for my kids. We have had some doozies and we have had some of the best teachers I have ever known. I let the schools piick my kinder teachers then I worked very closely with the K teacher to get the best fit for 1st grade. After my first fiasco I taught all my kids to read, count over 100 and add before Kinder.
I now homeschool my two youngest.

you'd have to look up in your district to see if that's allowed. It isn't allowed in our district. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone requested a certain teacher?

You never know if your kid will like the teacher or not until you give it a try. Some of my best teachers were teachers that I did not like at first.

No.

And, keep a rapport with her/him.

all the best,
Susan

Take a deep breath, mom, and start learning to let go a little bit! You're not going to be able to control everything about your child's life and that definitely includes school.

You never know. The teachers you may not have gotten a good impression of might actually be the top teachers, motivating your daughter to love learning and establish great feelings about school. The teachers you liked at a first glance might just be really good at sucking up to the visitors and be all showy.

We all want what is best for our kids and there's nothing wrong with starting to let your daughter learn how to work with many different people outside of your watchful eye. Empower her to make the best of whatever situation she is in using the tools and skills she has.

You really can't know a teacher and how she/he teaches based on visiting the school and talking to others.

We aren't able to request at our school. But there still is talk about who is a good teacher and who is a bad teacher in each grade. Several years my daughter has gotten the "bad" teacher. And you know what? She ended up loving every one of them. They were all different and had some good attributes and bad ones -- just like everybody in the world. Kids have to learn how to deal with those differences. It's part of life.

Not really. Most schools do not allow it. Give your child and the teacher
a chance.

In our school you can't do that. We can request a child does NOT get a certain teacher, but you cannot request a specific one.

1 / 3