Repairing Split Stomach Muscles

I just had my first baby. He was 8.5 pounds and I am 5'1". Needless to say I was huge looking (at 6 months people were already asking my if I was ready to pop or if I was going to have twins). I felt like my baby was hanging in front of me and I got very bad stretch marks. Now, 3 months later, I do not mind the stretch marks but my stomach has a strange shape. I looks like a concave bowl in the middle. Also when I had my last appointment with my midwife, she checked my stomach muscles and said that I had a two-finger separation! She suggested sit-ups with my arms crossed over my stomach while holding my sides. I am being patient with my body, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can offer any other suggestions or insight.

hi!
I am 7 1/2 mos. preg. with my 3rd. I sat up from my appt. a couple months ago and my Dr. commented on the shape of my tummy when I did so. He says I have split muscles, as well. He told me to do the same, but try the right shoulder to left knee, left shoulder to right knee situps after I give birth to repair the muscles. I hope it works for the both of us! So, I guess I'm saying that I've heard the same thing and was told the same thing! ;-)

It is great that I got to read what you wrote because I always thought after my pregnancy of my 1st son that my stomach felt like what you described! I thought something was wrong with me. Sorry, I have no suggestions but just reading what you wrote makes me feel better about myself. I was totally worried something was wrong with me but never asked a doctor about it.
Z-

Hi Jasmine,

I had 3 very large babies and also had split muscles. The only thing that can fix this is for a doctor to sew them back together. I had a tummy tuck 3 years ago because I has excessive skin around my tummy area and to they also sewed my ab muscles back together so my skin can look normal again.

Start taking Pilates. The mat classes are not expensive and hands down it's the best way to strengthen your core.

Jasmin, I think you can buy a post-pregnancy stomach support at any maternity store like Motherhood. Try wearing one to help the muscles with healing during the day or at night, witchever is more comfortable for you.

Jasmin,

I did have this problem. I am 5'4" and my baby was 8.7lbs. I tried the whole working out thing for 2 years, had a 2nd baby that was only 2 oz smaller. After another 14 months of working out and crunches out the wazoo, I finally consulted a doctor. He recommended a plastic surgeon, saying that the muscles won't reconnect on their own. After seeing 3 surgeons they all said that they had to be restitched, meaning surgery. After loosing the weight and working out and everything, mine never connected again. So I had a tummy tuck. It was the only way to repair them and I am thrilled with the results. Hope this was helpful.

Don't panic, it took 9 months to get that way and you will be surprised how quickly it will go back. But don't worry it will. Enjoy your beautiful baby.

Try PILATES first.

hi!

Hey Jasmin,

My stomach muscles also split when I was about 6 months pregnant. I asked my OB about it and he said it is very common and unfortunately permanent. He said all the sit-ups in the world would not make it better but could actually make a worse buldge. So, just be careful! My daughter is 7 months now, and since the baby weight is mostly gone, I honestly don't even notice it anymore. Good Luck!

You should consult a surgeon (unfortunately). They will send you to get either an ultrasound or catscan. I have the same thing which basically requires surgery to repair. The good news, unless you are having a problem with bowel movements, the Dr. actually recommends putting off this type of surgery for awhile. Since I had a c-section with my 9 lb. 10oz. baby, my dr. recommended 6 mos. I haven't had my surgery yet and actually planning to wait a bit longer. Two doctors I spoke to were Dr. Decio Rangel and Dr. Robert Cole - both in Santa Monica. You might want to see someone for more conclusive results. Good luck!

1 / 3