Repair Snaps?

Hello Mummies!
I have a quick question, my son has several outfits/pairs of bib overalls on which the snaps between the legs no longer hold. There is nothing else wrong with these clothes and I would very much like to be able to repair them as opposed to simply getting rid of them or cutting them up for patches. I did ask my own mother about ideas, she said that since they are rivet-type snaps they cannot be removed without severely damaging the material, and she knew of no other option. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions?
Thank you!
A.

I have had the same issue with some outfits. My sister recently salvaged a pair of jean shorts that the zipper had come apart on by replacing it with sew-on velcro....it works great and now my son can still wear them! I plan on trying to replace the snaps with velcro as well. You could sew the velcro right over the snap without removing the riveted part.
If I get it done soon I'll let you know how it works, but it sounds good on paper!

I bet a shoe maker could fix them. I have a special needs child that has a special stroller and one of the snaps broke off, he was able to fix it and you can't even tell that it has been repaired.
I don't know where you live, but this shoe maker is in Amherst.
Jenn.......

Can you leave the snap in place but sew a little piece of velco next to it? It will look like the snap is what's still holding it (which is cute) but the velcro should do the job. They have no-sew velco now too. I think you iron it on, and then as you wash it, the adhesive actually gets stronger.

If you can't fix the snaps, maybe you could sew strips of velcro over them? Just make sure the hooky side is facing out so it doesn't bug your little one's legs.

If the snaps are just no longer holding together, but everything else is intact, try taking a hammer and gently but firmly hitting the part that is the snap. This will widen it and make it hold together when you snap it in. I did this to several of my kids snaps and they worked like new again.

Sometimes you can GENTLY tap the “male” side of the snap with a hammer to widen it so that it fits into the “female” side of the snap more snugly. This doesn’t work all of the time, it can actually make it worse, but if they aren’t working now it’s worth a try before pitching them. Just make sure you do it GENTLY…you’d be surprised how easy it is to flatten a snap!! Hope that helps!

just an ideal: you can remove those snap and replace them. take the overalls to the fabric store. someone there will be glad to assist you with your repair.

i would try adding a hook and eye between snaps. My mother in law did that with one of my niece's dresses and it worked beautifully.

You can also buy strips with snaps already on them. They are generally white with plastic snaps but can be sewn in like velco and the fabric part is much softer.

I would suggest that you sew the sems on the pants shut. That would elimanate the coming apart of them. And if you aren't handy with the sewing machine then they sale this no sew tape that you iron on that is just as good as sewing them.

1 / 3