Reoccuring Strep Throat and Having Tonsils Removed

Hi all - I have a 5 y/o son who has had strep 4 times since August. The last time he was diagnosed with it, we were referred to an ENT. I guess for the possibility of having his tonsils removed. well, he was sick again yesterday w/ cold like symptoms and I took him in to the Dr. I told the Dr we were to see the ENT on Thursday and he asked "WHY?" I told him why and he said, " if is was't reoccuring in the same way, they probably woulnd't do anything." The thing is, is has not presented in the same way every time. So my questions is this, how many of you have had you childs tonsils removed and it helped and how many has it not helped?? Hthe Dr told me that he could have them out and he can still get strep.
I do not want to have surgery on my child because he's at the "4th time with strep mark" I've heard sooo many mixed things about having tonsils out, I don't know what to think!!

SO GUESS WHO HAS STREP NOW???????? YES, ME! I STARTED FEELING BAD, WITH A SORE THROAT YESTERDAY MORNING AND THEN ALL THE HORRID ACHING FOLLOWED, I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG.HUBBY TOOK ME TO THE DR AND I JUST KNEW IT WAS THE FLU. BUT NO, STREP. MY SON HAS NEVER HAD IT IN THIS WAY, THANK GOODNESS!!! ALL I COULD DO LAST NIGHT WAS CRY, I WAS SO TIRED AND HURTING SO BAD. I FELT LIKE A 2 YEAR OLD. THANKFULLY, I TOOK A SHOT OF BICILIN AT THE DR AND I FEEL MUCH BETTER THIS MORNING.

So we went to the Dr yesterday and he said that they typically want to see if 7 times in a one year peroid before they take out tonsils. Our son has had it 4 times in 6 months. While I am VERY THANKFUL that he doens't have to have surgery, I don't want him to have to go through it 3 more times before anything is done. We are just praying that he won't get it again.

I really appreciate how quickly everyone responed and that you took the time to do so. I read all these posts every day, but I've never posted myself. I was nice to see such a caring and supportive community respond!! Thanks to you all !!

I'm an oldie mom. My son who is now 27 had that same problem as a preschooler. But when they removed his tonsils, it never came back. To this day, his throat has been problem-free. I recommend that option. The operation did not cause any ill effects for him. He recovered beautifully and quickly.

I was reading your request and I had a similiar problem growing up with my throat. I had tonsilitis all the time! They were removed along with my adnoids and I am fine! No more problems. My 8 year old was sick often and snored alot! He was referred to and ENT and his were removed before he was three. He has been healthy ever since! I say, if they will take them out... Go for it!

Our daughter had recurring step also. She would not be antibiotic free for more than a few DAYS before the infection would come back. We DID have her tonsils removed (although she was 8 at the time) and she has been STREP FREE SINCE. She is now 13. I look back at pictures of her in the 2nd grade and there are none without dark circles under her eyes. In hindsight I'm not sure she
EVER felt well. She also does not have frequent URI either. It DEFINITELY made a huge difference in her health to have those tonsils removed, so for OUR family, it was the correct choice. Good luck!!!

I asked a simialr question not long ago on here. I'll give you the advice that i got. Follow your gut. If you think you should talk to a ENT then go. Never questiona mothers gut feeling. It wont hurt anything to go talk with him and see what he says. You never know he might not want to have the tonsils removed. Or there might be another problem. Have you been tested to see if you are a carrier? Our dr believe i might be a carrier. Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do.

my 7 year old grandaughter also has had streph 4 times! Yes, and SO FAR we've learned that the first 3 times they gave her amoxicillian IT MAY HAVE NOT BEEN WORKING. I suggested maybe the antibiotic was not working for her and he agreed and now has her on keflex, she has 3 more days to take the keflex. He will check her again this next week. She appears to be better except for she now has the sinus thing going on, wich drains to her throat. WHICH THIS HAS HAPPENED EVERYTIME SHE APPEARS TO BE BETTER. He also commented that she may be a carrier. The 2nd time she had streph he checked her but commented "i dont think she has it, it doesnt look like it." then when the test came back he was surprised it was positive. He said "i would never thought it to just look at her." so, he has never mentioned taking her tonsils out!
Maybe the antibiotics are not working for YOUR SON, they can be ammuned to certain ones. Mention it, i had to after 3 times it's like please help!! what is wrong. And then he could be a carrier. please check it out ! Good luck! Blessings to you and your family!

If he has had 4 strep infections since August it certainly wouldn't hurt to see an ENT Physician, make sure you take all of your son's records with to your appt. The doctor can take a look at his records and tell you if he thinks your son needs a tonsilectomy.

My daughter had same problem. Has he ever not had strep when tested? If not he probably is a strep carrier. My daughter was diagnosed as a carrier. We had her tonsils and adnoids removed. They also scraped something (can not remember exactly). This was a a huge help. She has not had strep since (4 years later) and her younger brother is not having strep as often, since she was passing it to him. I would highly recomend doing it.

My Grand Daughter gets strep throat every other month. Her Doctor will not even discuss tonsils be removed. I feel the same way, i do not want her to have surgery if it will not stop the strep. Just want some answers. Her school is sending home nasty letters because she misses so much school, but we have Doctor excuses for all of them.

My daughter stayed sick. Not with strep, but with colds and such. They started noticing her tonsils were swelling with every cold. My doctor told me not to worry. But I kept hearing about swollen tonsils. So I made my own appointment with an ENT. They took one look and said they had to come out.

The ENT explained they don't jump to tonsil removal automatically like they did back in the day. They try to delay it and see if the child's illnesses wain and they can keep the tonsils. But my daughter's were bad.

After the surgery they told me they dissect the tonsils, and her's were worse than a 17 yr old who had them removed the day before. She was 4 at the time.

I know this doesn't help, but it might add perspective. Talk about your concerns with ENT. They are very helpful.

1 / 3