Removing Paint from Trim

Hello! I have been painting my house a room at a time and I just noticed that I got paint all over the trim in my bathroom. While this will mostly be seen by only my husband and me, it is really bugging me. Any suggestions for a way to remove the dried paint from trim without ruining the finish? It is stained, not painted, trim. I could also use some suggestions on removing paint from the caulking around the vanity. I must have been having a really rough day that day because I sure made a mess! LOL Thanks for any ideas you may have!

I second the Mr.Clean Magic Erasers. I used them to take paint off of stained trim with great success. Just wet it and ring it out then rub the paint spot until it is gone. I will tell you that I have tried using a SMALL amount of nail polish remover or paint thinner on other stained wood and afterwards it got all cloudy. I'd say stick with the Magic Erasers. Good luck!

If it's latex paint and still rather fresh you should be able to remove it with a little warm water on a rag and elbow grease. If it's an oil based paint or if it's been there a while you can pick up "mineral spirits" at your local hardware store or Wal Mart. You might also be able to lift it with a razor blade. If you're still painting, pick up some painters masking tape and tape off what you do not want painted. It might save you a lot of time and trouble in the future.

You might try Mr Clean magis eraser, it worked for my paint on stained woodwork

Only thing I can think of is try scraping it with a fingernail. Other than that, not sure

Dear A.;
I do not know if the paint you used was acylic or latex, but you may wish to try "Goof Off" that can be found at your nearest home improvement store in their paint department. It might be or some use on the caulking also, you could ask them at the store about that, too.

Try q-tips with rubbing alcohol on them for removal and nice soft rag to wipe up remainder. An old retired professional painters tip.

Hi A., in the past i did the same thing. If you want the paint to be completly removed and there isn't any paint on the trim, then i found something called "opps". I used it on my wood and floors when we first moved into our house for the same reason. But just so you know, it will remove ALL of the paint.

Soemthing else i found that helped one time too was one of the hot steamer things.I can't think of what it's called but it's small and Red, and has a funny name. ANyway, it's hand held and you just put water in the water area and it will begin to steam. Let me tell you!!! That was awesome!!! I was steaming just about everything i could find!! WOrked for the stove, oven, bathroom, dirt in the cracks of your floor, you name it! If i can think of the name (sorry) I will write back. But for the live of me i can't. But you can get it just about anywhere. Good luck!

Goof Off or Paint Thinner to just the paint you want to remove. Apply with a soft cloth or a q-tip if the area is small.

Since this is in a small area, open a window or put a fan in the room with you so the fumes won't build up.

1 / 3