Removing Old Formula Stains

I was wondering if anyone had any remedies for removing old formula stains from clothing. I am due with my second son in November. My first son will be turning 4 in November and I was just going through his old clothes. Some of his old outfits have formula stains on them. I didn't know if they were salvagable or should I just buy new...

I don't have that issue since breastmilk doesn't stain, but we did get 25-year-old stains out of my husband's baby clothes with Biz. If it can work on old stains I would think it would work on formula stains only a few years old. Follow the directions on the box.

vinegar in the wash. Or Totally Toddler found at Babies R Us does he trick for us.

A friend told me to use peroxide for stain removal. I had saved all of my oldest sons clothes in large tubs out in the shed. I had washed them and they were for the most part stain free when I put them in storage. When I got them back out several years later to use on my second son, I found that the heat and cold had brought out some spit up stains that had not been visible before I put them in storage. I put peroxide in a spray bottle and misted all the stains as well as using shout and oxyclean in the wash. They almost all came out stain free again. Peroxide does not work well on t-shirt type material, but worked well on all of the other fabrics.

We breastfed, but our go-to stain remover is lemon juice on the stain, then lay it on the grass (my aunt swore this really made a difference) in the sun.

Also used Totally Toddler, good stuff.

K. Z.

I was going to suggest Shaklee as well, but someone already beat me to it. The Nature Bright is what can cause fading if left on too long, but it really works wonders. You may not even have to let it sit - just scrub the Basic H2 and Nature Bright together with an old toothbrush and hot water and most likely it'll disappear right before your eyes!

1 cup of bleach and 1 cup of dishwashing powder mixed with about a gallon of water. If the items are bad enough that you would consider replacing them, just throw them in the mixture and soak. If you are sentimentally attached and would keep it anyway, just leave it in for a little while. I used this years ago on all of the baby clothes I had from older children. I only had to toss out 1 item. I have used this recipe many times. It works for something that has a recent stain too. It can be stored in a covered container if you don't have time to do everything at once. If you want to use a gallon container just adjust the water accordingly. The amounts are not set in stone. They are just approximate. Good luck.

Shacklee sells a product called Basic H2. You put that on the stain, and then rub in some Nature Bright powder (also Shacklee) with a toothbrush. Let it sit for several hours and then run it through the wash. It gets all formula stains out, even those that are years old. The only problem I've had is that it can bleach clothing if you let it sit too long. I'm not a Shacklee distributor, though, so you'll have to look online or something to order it. Good luck.

I was also just going to suggest Shaklee's Nature Bright. It is the best thing I have found for tough stains and helped me when I took out my toddler's newborn clothes to get them ready for my baby recently. Someone else had suggested Basic H2. That is something I keep in my laundry room to put on as a prewash. Both are awesome organic cleaners. Here is the link for nature bright: You can search the basic h from there if you want to check that out too.

http://waterways.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku=00305

1 / 3