11 answers

Removing Cooking Grease Build up from Cabinets.

Hi mommas,
I have 10 year old oak cabinets that are covered in grease. Over the years I have kept up with the grease with orange oil, vinegar, etc. but now it seems they are past the point of no return. I have a DIRECT-VENT, vent (I would never recommend this but I just wanted my kitchen DONE & now I am paying the price ;0). I thought I could tackle this one on my own but have tried everything (orange oil, vinegar & so much more). Does anyone have have one of those TOP secret, tricks for removing cooking grease from wood cabinets?!? Thank you for your help.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am a NATURAL & Green type of gal ;0) so I tried the Murphy's oil soap (which I already had on hand) And a bit of steel wool. I let the murphy's set on there for about 20 minutes to help cut the grease. Although it did not work like I was hoping they are cleaner. I am normally the one suggesting DAWN for other posts to mom's & just didn't think of it this time so thanks for the reminder. I will try that next. You are all such wonderful, inventive mom's thank you for your help!
Soon I hope to have my kitchen remodled & this will be a memory of the past...someday :0)

Featured Answers

This is a harsh chemical, but will work. I bought a repo house a couple of years ago and the cabinets were GROSS!! I used Tri Sodium Phosphate. You can get it really cheap at Home Depot or something, and then Linseed oil to condition them afterwards. You have to be really careful with the Linseed oil because it can spontaneously combust on rags left laying around. (I found out the hard way!)

More Answers

durring my first marriage we lived in a basement house on a sheep ranch. When we first moved in the cabnets were covered with grease from the people who lived before us frying mutton on the stove. I tried everything, including oven cleaner, with no luck. until i stubled upon the green palmolive dish soap. it was the only thing that worked, and it worked like a charm!

Try Goo Gone, it takes some nasty stuff off. I used it on my parents cabinets and was pleased with the results. It may need a rinse after you use it but was a lot less work than other things I tried. You can also use a dish detergent like Dawn straigt from the bottle for smaller things, it seems to work too.

This might be too harsh for oak cabinets, but years ago we had painted cabinets in a kitchen with no hood and ammonia and water were the only thing that would get the grease off. If you use ammonia, make sure to protect your hands and really make sure you ventilate well. Good luck.

Use a steam cleaner - they come in all shapes, sizes & pricepoints, use no chemicals & really clean.
If you splurge on a well-researched expensive one, it will also eliminate all bacteria from your bathrooms ith no chemicals - you'd never have to buy cleaning chemicals again!

Hi G. - the key is to remove the sticky grease without ruining your oak cabinets - the steam cleaner idea might raise the grain and bleach the wood. Chemical degreasers could also remove the finish. Whatever you try, do a small patch test first.

I like to use Murphy's oil soap on my oak cabinets. BonaX works great on my hardwood floors, it should work on your cabinets too. I've also heard of someone using straight Spray-n-Wash or Shout as a degreaser, but again do a patch test on anything you know isnt made for wood. Have you tried just using some Dawn dishwashing soap with water yet?

Guardsman also makes good furniture cleaning and polishing products.

My trick for getting grease off of my gas range has always been a heavy dose of turmeric and a little water and allowing the paste to soak and then scrubbing off but this could be too abrasive for your cabinets.

Try mineral spirits, it's a little harsh, but it worked for me when I cleaned up my future husbands condo kitchen before we sold it, and it didn't ruin the cabinets! It was a mess, and that stuff worked! I don't think they had really been cleaned for 10 years! Yuck! Use gloves and try it in a hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't take off the finish. Good luck!

I know this is not really a healthy alternative but I use "super clean" mixed down with water and let set and wipe off. you should always use gloves when using this product cause it is drying to the hands. it works great on alot of things and I always keep a bottle on hand for use around the house.

i would try a baking soda paste. just do baking soda mixed with a little water make a paste then used a scotch pad, the scrubby side, try scrubbing it off.
good luck!

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.