Removal of Adenoids

My son is 3 and has had chronic ear infections and sleep apnea since Sept of 2007. An x-ray revealed that he has very enlarged adenoids. Other than that he is healthy as a horse Thank GOd! He is currently scheduled for surgery to remove his adenoids and have tubes put in his ears next week. If anyone has under gone this with their child could you please advise me as to what to expect I'm a nervous wreck. The idea of my child being put under (surgery 30 minutes) scares the hell out of me, but I know he needs the surgery in order to be healthy. Thank you.

He had the surgery on Monday and came through with flying colors my little trooper. I will say that the joy juice (supposedly causes them to not remember anything about the surgery and make separation easier) did help to ease the separation for him. The nurse told him he was going on a magic bed ride and he was laughing out the door as I fell to pieces in my husbands arms. I have to say thank you so much to all of you GREAT MOMS out there that made my decision so much easier to live with. And all of you were correct he was just fine after the surgery actually ate 3 popsicles at the hospital and then a bag of ritz crackers in the car and then a full breakfast of eggs, sausage and toast,and ribs for dinner. He didn't loose his appetate that was for sure. And his breathing is awesome, no more sounding like he's drowning with that heavy labored breathing or snoring. He has truly been sleeping like a baby since Monday. I can't thank all of you enough for all your love, support and encouragement! God Bless all of you!!!

My son went thru the same thing when he was 3- i was also scared to death-but it ended up being the best thing i could have done for him. He used to get so sick and after it was done he hardly ever got sick. It will be o.k.

My 2 sons both went through it and it is a piece of cake they both had tonsild and adenoids out and my ildest had tubes put in 3 years before and the are a little sore but they bounce back fine

My two year old just had this done on Tuesday- as well as tonsil removal. He is doing great except for being a little cranky. He was VERY cranky when he woke up and cried for 45 minutes, then fell asleep. His adenoids were so big that he wasn't breathing through his nose at all.

I think if he hadn't had his tonsils out, he'd be back to almost 100% by now. It's his throat that has him out of sorts. He DOES however have a stinky mucus discharge coming out of his nose. I don't know if it's just been blocked up there from the adenoids or what. I'm waiting for his Dr. to call me about that one. Yuck.

Good luck next week. Four of my five have tubes now, and I don't regret any of them.

My daughter has had this done. Usually they have bad breath and sore throat. Dr told me to let her have popcicles to help sooth it. Also that she might throw up during the first 24 hrs but that is only due to the anestesia. Other than that they are usally back to normal within one or two days. Good luck

My son had his tonsils/adenoids removed when he was 2 years, 5 months old. I know how scary the procedure can be, but it will help so much in the end. My son spent a little while in the pediatric section after surgery, but we went home the same day. He did pretty well right away, and I was told that the younger the patient is, the easier it is on them. So, at three, your son will probably do just fine! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

My Son had tubes put in when he was 9 months old and again at 3 years he had his anoids and tonsils removed when he was either 5 or 6 (he is now 8). It was like a miracle happened. He was able to breath much better play longer and rest easier. He was always getting tired and winded. The surgery was done out patient and besides him being a bit groggy that day and a sore throat for a few days he did well. He won't be interested in eating but be sure to keep him hydrated our son had to go back in for fluids because he became dehydrated. Good luck.

Hi! Two of my children have been put under anesthesia (for ear tubes) -- they were both under two the first time and then my daughter had to have hers surgically removed a few months ago (at 6 yrs!). So I've seen the anesthesia part three times and it IS really scary to think about. But the nurse will give your son a sedative and he will be all silly and laughing when they take him to the operating room. The hardest part is the 15 minutes after they wake up. They are usually disoriented and crying but it goes away and they are back to normal pretty fast. As far as the adenoid removal, I imagine that will be a little more painful than ear tubes -- I would ask if they will be giving him pain reliever right away. Good luck to you and your little boy -- I hope it's quick and easy for him. 3 year olds are quite resilient!

My 19 year old son had the same surgery done when he was 5 years old, for sleep apnea. Like your son, he was healthy in every other way. My second son had tonsils and adnoids removed a few years later because of chronic tonsilitis. I was very nervous both times. I chalk it up to being a mom. They both came through the surgery wonderfully and after that we all slept much better at night (especially because the sleep apnea problem had been taken care of). I know they both are better off because of it. Your son son will be feeling back to normal in about week running and playing like he normally does and you won't be dealing with those ear infections all the time. You will be thankful that you had it taken care of.

My daughter had tubes put in when she was 3 as well. It is scarey. It did take her some time to come out of the anastesia. Keep that in mind. Also, don't be shocked if the adinoids grow back. Because they do. Just hopefuly not as big ect.. Have Faith in your Dr's and GOD.
Keeping you in my prayers.

1 / 3