Remote Starter/keyless Entry Not Working - Is There a Fuse?

Just wondering if there are fuses in remote starters (the part in the car not the keychain), and if so, where would I find it? It is only 3 1/2 year old. I have replaced the batteries in the keychain remotes, and neither is working.

PS - This was not dealer installed. This was just done at a mechanic shop, but it's inconveniently far away.

PPS - I don't think the keychains are the problem. I think it is the base unit in the car.

I would talk to a dealer even though you didn't receive it from them. They can test the keychain part to see if there is a problem in that. That turned out to be my problem. If you are looking for a good place that does remote starts, there is a place in Montgomery that is realy good and have been in several magazines. They are called Sound Decision and are located on Douglas Rd near Rt. 30.

J., it all depends on the wiring. So, the only way to know is another shop that knows about wiring. It could be the battery relay. You may be able to get a free diagnosis from Advance Auto or Auto Zone, a code will show up to identify any problem. If not, many car parts places have very knowlegeable helpful people.

We have actually had this happen to us a few times...my parents too. What the place that installed it told us to do is to "reset" the system. To do that, you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the point just before you start the car and then turn it back to where you started. You do that 5 times and then try to use the automatic starter. I'm not saying that this will definitely work, but it has saved us a trip to the place we had it installed. Good luck.

Hi! Go to a local auto parts store. my boyfriend is manager at orielly's and he said they have all the stuff to fix the key pad part. Good luck!

Yes there is a fuse, I'm not sure if it is piggy-backed off of an existing fuseblock or if there is a fuse where the module is attached to the car. Autozone or Pepboys should be able to tell you where it is located. Best wishes. Happy Memorial Day!

Hi J.-

I called my dealer when that happened to me and they said that it is covered. I think it wasn't technically a recall... but I think they had quite a few others with similar problems so they just took care of it. So you may just want to call your dealership and explain it and ask if there would be any cost to you. (I pretty sure someone on mamasource told me to do that about a year ago and at that time my minivan was about 4 yrs. old.)

Just a thought... it can't hurt to ask.

1 / 3