Remedy for Dark, Thick Leg Hair on 7 Yr Old.

Hi moms,

I have a precious 7 yr old daughter who is quite timid and shy and is extremely embarrassed by her leg hair. She has been made fun of by other kids at school and this past summer was the last straw for me, as a caring mother, when she broke down crying and didn't even want to put on shorts. I cried too. We talked about it and, since summer was coming to a close, I promised her that I'd find a solution for next spring/summer. I was secretly hoping she'd grow out of it or her hair would start thinning out. Then just last night I caught her trying to shave her legs! She cut herself twice and was extremely upset when I caught her trying to secretly apply bandaids. I had no idea she was still upset about her leg hair. She hadn't said a word in months. I certainly don't want to start shaving her legs. I can barely keep up with my own. I'm thinking about bleaching her leg hair. I don't know where to start as far as what is safe for her age. Thank you ahead of time. I'm so upset for her.

Hi ladies! I wanted to update you about what ended up happening with my 7 yr. old daughter. We were going to try Smoothaway , an online product, but decided to wait on that and, instead, purchased Veet. Some of you recommended it and I researched it and found that it would be safe if I administered it and only from the knees down leaving it on for no more than 5 minutes. After the first time we did it she was laughing and smiling and she looked at me so seriously and said, "Oh mommy, it's like God gave me new legs!" I just cried. She said, "Why are you crying, aren't you happy too?" I just hugged her and said, "Yes sweetie, I'm so happy that I'm crying." Thanks again to all of you wonderful moms for being so sincere with your responses. God bless, L.

Just have her put oxygenenated water on her legs. That bleaches them and makes them thin. I know it will work for her.

Go to getsmoothaway.com and take a look. I haven't tried it but I want to order it for my daughter. She is 13. It looks painless and safe. I think it is worth a try.

A friend told me that if you lightly rub the hair with a soft pumice in the shower it will thin the hair. Her family is Indian and they do this to the babies... she hardly has any hair on her arms and legs.

L.,

I really think you should let your darling daughter start to shave her legs. This is obviously a highly emotional issue for her. It is MUCH better for her to be singled out for having shaved legs (or you, for being her mom, if such a thing happens) than for her to develop a deep-seated psychological complex based on feeling unattractive, perhaps "ugly" and/or continuing to receive criticism from other kids (not that they are right, but you cannot control the actions of others - especially kids, who do not realize how hurtful their taunts can be!)

The fact is that ALL people develop at different rates. Your daughter is showing signs of puberty. Some little girls are beginning to develop breasts at seven. Children of both sexes are beginning to experience feelings that are the beginnings of sexual urges at this age, and younger. I know that it is difficult to see you dear daughter "growing up" faster than you would like, but the reality check is that she will not "grow out of the desire" to shave because in our society thick, dark leg hair is not considered attractive on females. I personally think bleaching will be more trouble than the benefit she will derive. The chemicals cannot be safe for prolonged use and seem more problematic than learning to use a razor appropriately. There are very safe ways for her to shave - an electric razor is a start if you think she cannot handle a safety razor. Venus makes safety razors that are extremely safe and easy to hold (in fact, I now use one after seeing it recommended for young girls on Mamasource, and I can't imagine how anyone of any age could cut oneself with a Venus razor.)

The KEY is to teach children from very early ages to behave modestly, to protect their bodies and keep them exclusive, and to always conduct themselves appropriately for their surroundings (i.e. casual and relaxed is great at home, but respectful and polite behavior should be expected when kids are outside the home.) WHATEVER you teach them at home is the basis for their behavior when they are away from you. The fact that your daughter shaves her legs to reinforce her self-esteem will not have any bearing on her developing an interest in boys any earlier, nor will it promote her to act in unbecoming ways (if you are having either of those fears.)

Warmly,

P.S. - The first scripture below may NOT be one to share with your daughter (although maybe?!) because it speaks to what that society felt was a mark of beauty! :) The other passages about hair and our bodies are good for thought, too:

Song of Solomon 4:1 - [ Solomon's Love Expressed ] "How beautiful you are, my darling, How beautiful you are! Your eyes are like doves behind your veil; Your hair is like a flock of goats that have descended from Mount Gilead."

Matthew 5:36 - "Don't even swear by your own head, because you cannot make one hair on your head become white or black."

Luke 12:7 - Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows."

Romans 12: 1-2 - "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body."

1 Peter 3:3-4 - "Your adornment must not be merely external--braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."

L., you've recevied a lot of good responses but I can personally relate and must share my story. I am a very hair girl (I think I probably should have been a boy! lol). I had very hair legs, arms, and a lot of hair on my face. I had the classic "uni-brow" (they eyebrow that goes all the way across). And of course it was dark hair and very visible. I remember being teased about the dark hair on my upper lip even after college. The teasing was non stop. I attended a catholic school and we had to wear skirts so I could never hide the hair. I remember how I would never wear the short ankle socks to school or during PE because of the teasing. It is hard to deal with something that you have no control of. I can't change the genetics makeup of my hairy body, but I had to deal with the psychological impact and the wondering "why me".

Please let your daughter shave her legs. Life is too stressful for kids these days to be teased about hairy legs. I wanted to write so you will keep an eye out for the rest of her body as she matures. Because today they tease her about her legs and then tomorrow it may be about her hairy arms or upper lip. Anyway, if she does get excessive hair on her arms, use clippers to thin it out. This is what I do and still do it today. Hey, its a fact of life, hair grows and needs to be trimmed. And for the lip and eyebrows, when she's older, teach her the right way to pluck her brows with tweezers and some of these other solutions such as bleaching or waxing for the lip. Please, don't let your daughter suffer through these issues. Life is too short!

L.,

I know that you are loath to have her start shaving at such a young age. I did not reply to offer you any shaving/waxing/depilatory solution. (but, while I’m here, my personal favorite is the Silk Effects razor. I like it because all the wires across the blades cause me to almost never get cuts, and I've used this brand for about 15 years. I have to be really scraping and sawing in all kinds of directions and quickly so, to achieve a nick.)

The reason I did reply is to remind you of how very important self image is to girls. Unfortunately, it is their controlling thought for a while. Now, I'm not saying that girls should be taught to conform in all areas of what the other girls are doing, and there's a lot to be said for teaching them self confidence and independent thought. But for a problem as soluble and inevitable as shaving her legs, I would sit down with her, and show her the safest way to do so. It’s really a small thing in the grand scheme, and will help her to feel better about her self image. It may also give her a little boost to be first. You remember the “firsts” don’t you? And you probably remember who they were. – First girl with a bra, first girl to lose the eyeglasses and get contacts….

Best wishes to you and your family!

Hi L., I started shaving when I was 10 (my mother was not thrilled about allowing me that young but I was really bothered by the hair on my legs). I remember as far back as 8 years old wanting to shave. This day and age, there are so many options. I do agree with many, an electric razor sounds like a great idea! As far as her age, she isn't trying to be "sexy" like some young girls out there. This is a self-esteem issue. I can't believe others are actually making fun of her. I would just stay away from the chemical hair removers. That can't be good for a 7 year old (I even wonder if we will find they harm adults as time goes on).

Maybe an electric razor. It will keep it short without having to be super smooth and she can't cut herself. I wouldn't put any chemical things on her like Nair. That stuff is so horrible and can give terrible reactions.
I had the same problem as a child and started shaving without my mother's permission also. Cut myself many times also. I don't see why girls can't shave at a younger age if they need to, but at least the electric ones are safer.
Just my 2 cents from someone that has been there. Good luck.

1 / 3