15 answers

Regaining Back Custody of Child After Giving Someone Temporary Guardianship

6 years ago I was not a stable person. I sent my oldest child to my mother who lives in GA and we signed temporary guardianship papers. Well its been a constant struggle for my mother to allow my child to come back to me. I have gone to visit my child at least 2 times a year. Send birthday and christmas and any other help my mother needs. I am very stable now. Same residence for 4 years, a job for 2 years and 2 other children who are with me. One of the 2 children I did have to regain custody from her father but she has now been with me for over a year with no issues. I am remarried and we have a 4 yr old son together and things are going great except for the constant fighting with my mother. I don't want to do this the ugly way but I'm starting to think I just may have to. My mothers standards and rules aren't even ones that my mother does herself. I can understand that their is an attachment there but my child deserves to be with me and her siblings. Also keep in mind that my mother has her own grandchild calling her mom. When I witnessed this I was told by my mother that I would just have to deal with it. Um NO my mother should be correcting her. My oldest is 8 years old and is so confused. Last time I went for a visit my mother said my daughter could come for a visit over the summer so in return I bought a ticket and 12 hours before my daughter was to come back with me my mother decides to tell me that Aubrie wasn't going back. That tore my world apart that I could not have my daughter for a visit. I need to know if I should just let my daughter stay where she is at or do what I didn't want to do and ask for legal assistance?? Thanks in advance

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Well, my daughter still lives with my mother but visits have become more frequent. Summers and Christmas have been mine for the past 1 1/2. It's been a struggle sending her back but I know she's happy. Her happiness is what matters most. My husband and I have decided to move closer to my mother come next year so that is a plus as well.

More Answers

I may be biased because I have been a legal guardian of a little boy for over 4 years. I've had him since he was 1. He began calling me mom when he was about 2-2 1/2. I know this was hard for his bio mom, but his therapist said that I should allow it and not correct him. He knows that he has another mother. It is really confusing to a young child who is being raised by someone (and bonding to that person as a mother figure) to be told they couldn't call that person mom. He needed to relate to me that way. He needed to feel that bond. He needed to rely on me as a mom. As much as it hurts you (I can't even begin to imagine that feeling) try to remember that it isn't something that is being done to hurt you. It shows that your daughter has a very strong bond with the mom who has been consistant in her life for the majority of her life. I think you need to really search your heart for what you feel is truly right for your daughter. I don't know your situation so I don't know what is right. It sounds like you are doing awesome now. Six years ago you made a decision that was best for your child. It is obvious you love her very much. Now, try to step back from your emotions (not an easy thing I know) and try to see things from your daughter's point of view. She has spent most of her life in another state, being cared for by someone else. You are obviously a very important person because you are her Mom, but does that mean that uprooting her entire life after so long is what is best for her? What kind of trauma will that cause her? Could it possibly be better for her to remain where she is and you visit and call more often? You could build your relationship back slowly and have a different kind of mother daughter relationship. She need to know you love and want her, but she also needs to know that you care about what she needs/wants. I'm thinking about it from my perspective as the "mom" of someone else's child. I can't imagine what it would do to him to be taken from my home. (That isn't even thinking about what it would do to me and my other children which is a totally different consideration all together.) If his mom ever got her life together as you have, I still don't think that being with her is best for him. He has been with me most of his life. Living in a family involves so much more than who is caring for the child. Parenting styles, family routines, the way things just naturally go are all things that people (especially children) find comforting and secure. Of course you want your daughter home. You love her and miss her. But is that best for her? For your relationship with her which is going to last for the rest of your lives, not just her childhood? For her sense of security? Sometimes doing what is best for your child is the hardest thing you have ever had to do. Don't make any decisions based only on emotions. Try hard to look at different viewpoints and options to work for everyone.

Another thing to consider if your mom is refusing visitation is to petition the court to order visitation. You could get time with your daughter without the drastic changes that a change of living arrangements would entail.

8 moms found this helpful

It sounds as if it's time to hire an attorney (was that "the ugly way"?)

Did the guardianship go through court? If so you will have to petition the court in the county she lives with your daughter, and request the guardianship be terminated. All the progress you've made can be shared with the court at that time.

If it was an informal guardianship your attorney can handle that as well, all I know is that you "signed temporary guardianship papers."

God bless.

5 moms found this helpful

I think your daughter needs her own advocate (I think the program is called CASA?) Someone who is there just for HER and isn't weighted down or swayed by all the history beyween you and your mom. I think it's possible that both you and your mom are too enmeshed and involved to see the situation as a whole...

5 moms found this helpful

First off, I want to say KUDO'S TO YOU!!! You obviously love you daughter very much if you gave TEMPORARY custody of her to your mom when you couldnt provide for her, you have gotten your life turned around and have made a stable and loving home for your daughter!!! I, for one, am proud of you!! I would talk with a lawyer and see what steps need to be taken. For the sake of your daughter, you may need to take things slowly so she is not shocked when she moves. It may make the transition easier for her if you go in steps. maybe not though so you should talk to her to see what she thinks. Good luck, and good for you!!
so many moms give up or lose custody and never take the steps to make things right. It is good to hear of moms doing what it takes to make a better life for their kids!!

4 moms found this helpful

I'm not in your shoes, i've made different choices in my life.

If you care about your daughter, leave her where she is and continue to visit and offer assistance at christmas and send birthday cards and call once a month. Establish a relationship with her and then consider uprooting her whole world, IF That is what SHE wants and if that would be best for her. Don't make this about your mother, What would have happened to your daughter 6 years ago if grandma hadn't stepped up?? You should be thanking your mom for doing what you couldn't, and start now trying to build a relationship with your daughter.

4 moms found this helpful

How did your mother get guardianship over your daughter in the first place? Did you sign the papers turning over guardianship to your mother or was the guardianship done without your consent? Do you have a copy of the Letters of Guardianship? What do they say in terms of terminating the guardianship? Depending on the situation, you should first contact the probate department of the court where the guardianship was granted to find out how to go about getting your daughter back. Explain your situation to the clerk and see what they advise. They will not give you legal advice, but they can tell you if you need to get legal help because there are different types of guardianship situations, some more complex than others. If, for instance, child protective services is involved, you definitely will need an attorney to represent you.

Hope this helps:)

4 moms found this helpful

6 years... that is a LONG time to have someone else 'temporarily' raise your child. I think I would go as far as to legally get her to ensure your daughter visits every summer for a month and every alternating holiday where school has at least 1 week off (Thanksgiving and Christmas). Then I'd also go visit them where they live, but bring her siblings along too. I think it may be more damaging to your child who truly only knows her Grandma as her Mother, to uproot her simply because YOU are ready to act as her Mom. I understand why it would really hurt you to hear her call her Grandma Mom, but you COULD have not left her there for so long.

I would talk to your daughter about coming back to live with you each time you see her in PERSON... that way you can see her body language when she talks to you about it. I wouldn't force a separation from her Grandma just because you are finally able to have her back physically and your Mommy vibes are getting stronger.

3 moms found this helpful

You really shouldn't be asking US if you should let your daughter stay where she is. We don't know you, we don't know her, and we don't know your mom. What you should do is dig deep down into yourself and work through your feelings with your husband about this. If you went to a counselor to get help figuring out the change in dynamics that will happen when you bring that child into your home, it would go a long way to help you both decide what should be done.

Your mom has decided that this is her child now. There won't be an easy or pretty way to do this, the way it seems. You will have to go to court and it will not be easy.

Go get some counseling with your husband, and if you decide to take over custody of your daughter, then go into it wholeheartedly. Never bad-mouth grandma to her. When you DO get custody, be willing to let your mom see her, but if she badmouths YOU to your daughter, tell her that she can only see the child with you in the room and she is not allowed to talk ugly about or to you. If she is still pulling this child back and forth verbally, you'll just have a mess on your hands, so don't allow it.

Good luck,

3 moms found this helpful

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.