Refreezing Breast Milk

I WAS WONDERING, I HEARD YOU ARE NOT SUPOSED TO REFREEZE BREAST MILK. IF I DEFROST IT, HOW COME I CANT PUT IT BACK IN THE FREEZER IF I DONT USE IT. EVEN IF I KEEP IT ON ICE? WHAT DOES IT DO TO THE MILK.

HI MY NAME IS A. AND MY SON WAS A PREMI, SO TO ANSWER OR HELP WITH YOUR QUESTION, YES YOU CAN FREEZE MILK BUT ONCE YOU DEFROST THE MILK IT IS NO LONGER GOOD. IT'S LIKE MAKING THE CONDENSED FORMULA THEN AFTER SO LONG WHAT EVER THAT WASNT USED IS NO GOOD. IT IS THE SAME WAY WITH BREAST MILK. SO EVERYTIME I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL TO SEE HIM IF I NEEDED MILK THEY GAVE ME A BOTTLE OF MY BREAST MILK AND WHAT HE DIDNT DRINK WAS THROWN AWAY. HOPE IT HELPS A LITTLE.

its not that it does anything to the milk. breastmilk has loads of bacteria in it. its supposed to be there to help build your baby's immune system. when it comes up from frozen, it reaches temps that allow some of that bacteria to reproduce. freezing it again only means thawing it again and hence, more bacteria growth. too muchof even a healthy bacteria can be a problem for a baby's new immune system. after thawing it, you can keep it in the fridge for 5 days without a problem.

hope that helps.

I'm not sure what happens chemically, but I know it gives it a metallic taste. I actually had to refreeze some partially thawed breastmilk (our fridge died! - I was so upset about the bmilk!) Also, milk that has been frozen has lost some of the immune properties that inhibit bacterial growth in fresh refrigerated milk, so you don't want to thaw completely and refreeze again.

When I would travel - I would not ever freeze the milk, just keep it cold (fridge, ice, etc.) and then freeze when I got home (if I didn't need it right away).

Good luck to you!

I think that the reasoning is because breast milk spoils quicker... maybe... and once it is thawed if it is not all used there is a chance of bactiria growing...

1 / 3