Redness Around Mouth After Eating Certain Foods..20 Mo.

I have 20 mo. old twins, a boy and a girl. A few months back we noticed whenever our little boy ate tomato sauce or pizza, he would get a red rash-type marking around his mouth. He doesn't have trouble breathing, doesn't get sick..his face just turns red. Just to be on the safe side we don't give him processed tomatoes very often.
More recently ( a few weeks ago), this happened when he tried (and loved) tartar sauce.
His sister had never had an issue with it until today, when I gave them each a hard peppermint candy. Her mouth-redness wasn't as bad, but it was definitely there.

I might mention that my MIL has mentioned that their Dad had a history of this when he was younger, and never had any serious complications for it, and that I do fully intend to follow through with a doctor about this.
I am just wondering if any other moms might have experience with them, and what it amounted to. I am not truly concerned as serious food allergies don't run in our families, and it seems to be more of a sensitivity to foods. I am considering doing allergy testing, but I am not sure if it is necessary or not.

Thanks everyone. It seems to be the general concensus that it's a sensitivity and they will outgrow it. After a lengthy conversation with my MIL, I found their dad has exactly the same issue, only he had problems with more foods. I don't think I will entirely stop giving them the irritating foods, just not nearly as often. And I do intend to call the doctor just to be sure. Even though the chances are good they aren't having any allergies, I think it will be a good idea to get them tested if the benefit is worth the costs.

My daughter had the same issue for about a year when she was about that age. Anytime she ate any sort of tomato product, she would get red splotches on her face, mostly right around her mouth. We asked the dr about it and she told us that if it didn't seem to bother her, just keep an eye on it. Like I said, after about a year it didn't happen anymore.

i have a BIL when he eats certain food it makes his mouth all red and it will swell up. I think they may be allergic to certain foods. Until you go to the doctors i wouldnt let them have the foods that irritate there mouth.

Food allergies don't have to run in families, to have them. I am the only one in my family with any food allergies. I know many people who have allergies and they don't run in families. They CAN and sometimes do run in families, but it's a myth they have to. The fact that they are having a reaction means it is at the very lease a sensitivity and needs to be looked into. I would definitely take them to an allergist, to rule out an allergy. That is the only way to know for sure, if there is a more serious underlying issue. Keep in mind...with food allergies reactions typically get progressively worse. While it might seem minor now, there is no way of knowing how serious it could get.

This happened to my daughter and will still sometimes if she doesn't wipe her face well. I always thought it was the acid in the tomatos and that if we as adults left the sauce on our face to dry that it would do the same thing. I never tried it though.

This happened to both of my kids at some point or another. For my oldest it was ranch dressing and my youngest it can be many things. It only lasts for about an hour and then goes away. It's just the acid in the foods that cause this, not an allergy.

OMG my 20 month old daughter also gets allergies (redness around the mouth) when she eats tomatoes, also when she eats eggs. I don't feed her eggs anymore because the rash is worse with eggs than with tomatoes, I suppose she is allergic to these products.
Maybe wait until a little older to reintroduce him to them.

My first born son had this same thing and I couldn't figure out which foods were causing it...I ended up taking a picture of his mouth and showing it to the Dr. next time i went in, Dr. had him give a blood sample and they ran an allergy test and thankfully all came back good...sensitivity to certain foods usually does just go away with time an more exposure to that certain food.

yep, it's mustard with my 5y old. We found out when she was little, shirtless, and had a red handprint on her belly! I think it's the vinegar...both girls will ge a bit red w/ some tomato sauces, never real bad and we just mostly avoid things that may induce the reaction, but whenever they do come in contact it's not a real big deal.

1 / 3