Redness Around Anus in Toddler

I've noticed that my 3 year old has a rash (ring-like redness) around his anus. After doing some research on the web I think it may be allergy related or a yeast overgrowth. His diet hasn't really changed & his never been on antibiotics before so I'm baffled.
Anyone had this experience with their child?
I'll be calling his ped. on Monday, but I'm really wondering if there is something I can do in the meantime.

You're correct it can be yeast or it can be pin-worm if he has been around other kids who have it. Pin worm is no big deal, you take 1 pill now and 1 pill in 2 weeks and its gone. Pin worm is characterized by a ring around the anus and a LOT of itching. I am not saying this is what it is but if the ped suggests it...don't freak out...like I said it is no big deal.

My son had a similiar problem. It ended up being strep. I never heard of strep on the anus but that's what it was. He was very itchy. I'm not sure if this is your son's case but mention it to the ped. Good luck.

It is probably a yeast infection, which surprisingly is very common...yeast like to grow in warm moist places. If it doesn't seem to bother him, I'd wait until you talk to your pediatrician Monday. Otherwise you can try clotrimazole cream...I think you can get it over the counter by that name (in the athletes foot section, or women's yeast medication section). I've found my daughter gets a yeast infection if she has too much sugar in her diet. You could try cutting back on sugars and breads. Our pediatrician has an afterhours number...if yours does too, you could try to call...the nurses are usually very good at giving advice...you can ask them about the clotrimazole if you are worried. Good luck.
J. W

My 11wk old had that "target like" reddness around his anus when he was only a few days old. His doc said it was yeast and we used lotrimin cream and it went away in a few days. Hope this helps.
A.

try placing a cotton ball in the area to absorb the moisture until you can contact the doctor.

reducing the moisture will probably help the environment.
keep the area very clean washing frequently.

If he is toilet trained then you need to make sure he i swiping himself properly after he poops. sometimes the wipes they have out there can dry out or irritate the anus. I would make sure to take a washcloth with warm water and wash well around the anus the next few times he poops. I would also put some desitin or something of that nature around his anus. Another thing you can do is put him in the bathtub and put a little baking soda in the water they would probably help the next time he takes a bath.

Even if your little guy hasn't been taking prescription antibiotics, it's possible that he's been exposed to antibiotics in dairy products. Organic milk, cheese, and yogurt do not have antibiotics, however. I hope that he gets better quickly!

my son has that too ... i read on askdrsears.com that it was caused by his acid reflux.

1 / 3